Differential expression: Does it make sense?

In summary, differential expression refers to comparing gene expression levels between different conditions, such as tissues or disease states. It is measured using high-throughput technologies like microarrays or RNA sequencing. The purpose of differential expression analysis is to identify significant differences in gene expression, providing insights into diseases and potential drug targets. This analysis involves several steps and requires careful consideration of statistical analysis, batch effects, and biological relevance. Validating findings with independent methods is important for accurate interpretation.
rollingstein
Gold Member
I saw someone write this:

dW=Pd2V

I think this doesn't make any sense mathematically; but I wanted to check. Is this mathematically meaningful at all?

This I understand:

dW=PdV

W=∫PdV

But for dW=Pd2V I cannot see how one could proceed.

Here V is an independent variable; P=f(V).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, that doesn't make sense. You cannot have a "first differential" equal to a "second differentrial.

HallsofIvy said:
No, that doesn't make sense. You cannot have a "first differential" equal to a "second differentrial.

Thanks.

Related to Differential expression: Does it make sense?

1. What is differential expression?

Differential expression refers to the comparison of gene expression levels between two or more conditions, such as different tissues or disease states. It allows us to identify which genes are upregulated or downregulated in a particular condition, providing insights into the underlying biological processes.

2. How is differential expression measured?

Differential expression is typically measured using high-throughput technologies such as microarrays or RNA sequencing. These techniques allow for the simultaneous measurement of gene expression levels for thousands of genes in a single experiment.

3. What is the purpose of differential expression analysis?

The purpose of differential expression analysis is to identify genes that are significantly differentially expressed between conditions. This can help us understand the molecular mechanisms underlying a disease, identify potential drug targets, or find biomarkers for diagnosing a disease.

4. How is differential expression analysis performed?

Differential expression analysis involves several steps including data preprocessing, normalization, statistical testing, and gene set enrichment analysis. There are different software packages and tools available for each step, and the specific methods used may vary depending on the type of data and research question.

5. What are the challenges in interpreting differential expression results?

There are several challenges in interpreting differential expression results, including the need for proper statistical analysis and correction for multiple testing, the potential for batch effects or confounding factors, and the difficulty in determining the biological relevance of differentially expressed genes. It is important to carefully consider these factors when interpreting results and to validate findings using independent methods.