1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Differential Geometry of Curves] Prove the set f(p) = 0 is a circle

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a function f that can be put in the form f(p) = g(|p|) where g : [0,+∞) -> ℝ is C1 with g(0) < 0 and g'(t) > 0 for all t ≥ 0

Assume that |∇f(p)| = 1 for all p ≠ 0 and prove that the set f(p) = 0 is a circle.

2. Relevant equations

Given above

3. The attempt at a solution

I know i can use |∇f(p)| = 1 because some circle parametrization will be (cos(p), sin(p)) but I can't figure out really where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see anything too subtle here. If you can show there is exactly one value of c>0 such that g(c)=0, then the solution to f(p)=0 is just |p|=c. Which is a circle, yes?

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry, I am terrible at this... how is f(p) = 0 a circle for |p| = c?

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you asking why |p|=c is a circle?

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5
    Essentially, yes. What coordinate system are we working in?

7. Nov 14, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The normal coordinate system on [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], I suppose.
    Then [itex]|(x,y)|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] is the distance to the origin. So |p|=c says that p has distance c to the origin. So all points with |p|=c are all the points with distance c to the origin, which is a circle, right?

8. Nov 14, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any coordinate system. What's the definition of a circle around the origin? |p| is the distance from p to origin, isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook