Differential of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the differential of a function on a submanifold, using the chain rule and the concept of pushforwards. It also provides an example of how this can be applied to a specific problem. The conversation concludes by confirming that the differential can be interpreted as the composition of functions with the chain rule.
Maxi1995
We define the differential of a function f in

$$p \in M$$,

where M is a submanifold as follows
Untitled01.jpg

In this case we have a smooth curve ans and interval I $$\alpha: I \rightarrow M;\\ \alpha(0)= p \wedge \alpha'(0)=v$$.

How can I get that derivative at the end by using the definitions of the derivative of a function in several variables?

Attachments

• Untitled01.jpg
    Untitled01.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
For an example, you can look at Problem No. 4 here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/basic-math-challenge-august-2018.952503/
with the solution here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/basic-math-challenge-august-2018.952503/page-3#post-6046226
It's without an atlas, but it is what's going on between ##T_p(M)## and ##T_{f(p)}N##, just define ##M,N## accordingly, i.e. in a way such that the vector fields ##v,w## of the problem becomes the tangent bundle.

Thank you for your answer. So I got it right, that it is possible to interpret the differential via the chain rule as $$(f \circ\alpha)'(0)=df(\alpha(0))*\alpha'(0)=df(p)v?$$

You define ##df(\ldots)## in a way that the chain rule holds, so the other way around. I.e. first you get a function ##g## defined by the commutativity of
$$
\begin{equation*}
\begin{aligned}
M &\;\quad \stackrel{f}{\longrightarrow} &N\\
\downarrow{\varphi}&&\downarrow{\psi}\\
\mathbb{R}^m &\;\quad \stackrel{g}{\longrightarrow} &\mathbb{R}^n
\end{aligned}
\end{equation*}
$$
that is ##g=\psi \circ f\circ \varphi^{-1}## which you now can differentiate (with the chain rule) to define ##df##. You neglected ##\psi## in your equation.

What is a differential of a function?

A differential of a function is the instantaneous rate of change of that function at a specific point. It measures how much the function changes for a small change in its input value.

How is the differential of a function calculated?

The differential of a function is calculated using the derivative. The derivative of a function is the limit of the ratio of the change in the function's output to the change in its input, as the change in input approaches zero.

What is the difference between differential and derivative?

The differential of a function is the result of the derivative operation, while the derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

What is the purpose of calculating the differential of a function?

The differential of a function is useful in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It is also used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum value of a function.

Can the differential of a function be negative?

Yes, the differential of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that specific point. A positive differential indicates the function is increasing, and a differential of zero indicates that the function is not changing at that point.