Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating both sides of an equation

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    When is it valid to differentiate both sides of an equation? I was working on a physics problem and came across this, where I had to solve for p(r).

[tex]q(r) = \int_0^r \rho(s) * 4 \pi s^2 ds = \frac{Q r^6}{R^6}[/tex]

So, differentiating both sides with respect to r and using the Fundamental Theorem:

[tex]\rho(r) * 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{6 Q r^5}{R^6}[/tex]

Solving for p(r), I get the right answer, so obviously this is what they expect me to do. What I'm wondering is why exactly is this valid, when this is not:

[tex]x^2 = x => x = 1[/tex]

Differentiating both sides:

[tex]2 x = 1 => x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I think I came up with the gist of an explanation while typing this post up... but I'd really like a clear and more rigorous way to explain it. x^2 = x is only true for x = 1, so you can't differentiate both sides. But for my first equation, I assume that there is a p(r) that makes both sides of the equation true for all r. So, I can solve for this p(r). Am I right?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The problem with your second equation is that it isn't one, at least in the same sense as your first equation. It uniquely determines what x is. Hence, x isn't really a variable - you know what it is - it's 1. It doesn't make sense to differentiate that expression then because x really isn't a variable in it.

In your first expression, you really do have a functional relationship between the integral and the other expression - it holds for any value of r. As a result, r is a variable and the expression can be differentiated on both sides of the equality.

So basically, the explanation you came up with was correct.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    Okay, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?