Differentiating under the integral sign

In summary, "Differentiating under the integral sign" is a technique used in calculus to find the derivative of a function defined by an integral. It is useful for finding derivatives of functions that are difficult to differentiate using traditional methods and for solving integrals that would otherwise be challenging. The steps involved include differentiating the integrand, replacing the original variable, and integrating the resulting expression. However, this technique has limitations, such as requiring a continuous integrand and constant limits of integration, and it cannot be used for integrals with multiple variables or complex functions. It can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals, with the appropriate adjustments made for each.
Mr Davis 97
I am looking at a solution to an integral using differentiation under the integral sign. So let ##\displaystyle f(t) = \frac{\log (tx+1)}{x^2+1}##. Then, through calculation, ##\displaystyle f'(t) = \frac{\pi t + 2 \log (2) - 4 \log (t+1)}{4(1+t^2)}##. The solution immediately goes to say that ##\displaystyle f(t) = \frac{\log (2) \arctan (t)}{2} + \frac{\pi \log (t^2+1)}{8} - \int_0^t \frac{\log (t+1)}{t^2+1} ~ dt##. Could someone make this step a bit clearer? How does the LHS just become ##f(t)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am looking at a solution to an integral using differentiation under the integral sign. So let ##\displaystyle f(t) = \frac{\log (tx+1)}{x^2+1}##. Then, through calculation, ##\displaystyle f'(t) = \frac{\pi t + 2 \log (2) - 4 \log (t+1)}{4(1+t^2)}##. The solution immediately goes to say that ##\displaystyle f(t) = \frac{\log (2) \arctan (t)}{2} + \frac{\pi \log (t^2+1)}{8} - \int_0^t \frac{\log (t+1)}{t^2+1} ~ dt##. Could someone make this step a bit clearer? How does the LHS just become ##f(t)##?
The antiderivative of the derivative of a function is the function (plus an arbitrary constant). It's as simple as that.

In symbols: ##\int f'(t) dt = f(t) + C##

As a definite integral, along the lines of the equation you showed,
##\int_0^t f'(x)dx = f(t) - f(0)##. Here -f(0) is the constant C I showed above.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am looking at a solution to an integral

What is the integral whose solution you seek?

Stephen Tashi said:
What is the integral whose solution you seek?
Sorry, I made a mistake. The first line should be ##\displaystyle f(t) = \int_0^1 \frac{\log (tx+1)}{x^2+1} ~ dx##. The integral I seek is ##f(1)##.

Mark44 said:
The antiderivative of the derivative of a function is the function (plus an arbitrary constant). It's as simple as that.

In symbols: ##\int f'(t) dt = f(t) + C##

As a definite integral, along the lines of the equation you showed,
##\int_0^t f'(x)dx = f(t) - f(0)##. Here -f(0) is the constant C I showed above.
I guess the use of ##t## is a limit of integration is confusing me, since t is already a variable elsewhere. For example, say that ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x##. Then ##\int_0^x dy = \int_0^x 2x ~dx##. Doesn't this latter statement seem kind of weird? Why is x a limit of integration if it is already used as a variable? Also, what does ##\int_0^x dy## turn out to look like?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I guess the use of ##t## is a limit of integration is confusing me, since t is already a variable elsewhere. For example, say that ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x##. Then ##\int_0^x dy = \int_0^x 2x ~dx##. Doesn't this latter statement seem kind of weird? Why is x a limit of integration if it is already used as a variable? Also, what does ##\int_0^x dy## turn out to look like?
A limit of integration shouldn't be used also as a variable in the integrand (AKA "dummy variable"). You should note that in my 2nd example I was careful to use different variables for the two different roles.

If ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x##, then ##dy = 2x dx##, so ##\int_0^t dy = \int_0^t 2x dx \Rightarrow y(t) - y(0) = x^2|_0^t \Rightarrow y(t) = t^2 + y(0)##

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mark44 said:
A limit of integration shouldn't be used also as a variable in the integrand (AKA "dummy variable"). You should note that in my 2nd example I was careful to use different variables for the two different roles.

If ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x##, then ##dy = 2x dx##, so ##\int_0^t dy = \int_0^t 2x dx \Rightarrow y(t) - y(0) = x^2|_0^t \Rightarrow y(t) = t^2 + y(0)##
Okay, so the fact the solution I am reading does use the same variable as the variable in the integrand is not technically wrong, but is just bad "style"?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Okay, so the fact the solution I am reading does use the same variable as the variable in the integrand is not technically wrong, but is just bad "style"?
Yes, and confusing to some.

Likes Mr Davis 97

What is "Differentiating under the integral sign"?

"Differentiating under the integral sign" is a technique used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is defined by an integral. It involves differentiating the integrand with respect to a variable and then integrating the resulting expression.

Why is "Differentiating under the integral sign" useful?

This technique is useful because it allows us to find the derivative of functions that cannot be easily differentiated using traditional methods. It also allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

What are the steps involved in "Differentiating under the integral sign"?

The steps involved in "Differentiating under the integral sign" are:

1. Differentiate the integrand with respect to the variable of integration.
  2. Replace the original variable with the variable of integration.
  3. Integrate the resulting expression.

What are the limitations of "Differentiating under the integral sign"?

This technique can only be used when the integrand is a continuous function and the limits of integration are constant. It also cannot be used for integrals with multiple variables or for complex functions.

Can "Differentiating under the integral sign" be used for definite and indefinite integrals?

Yes, "Differentiating under the integral sign" can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals. For definite integrals, the limits of integration should be substituted into the final expression. For indefinite integrals, the resulting expression will include a constant of integration, which can be determined by using initial conditions or by solving for the constant of integration separately.