1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation and Lebesgue integration

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [itex]g(x) = \int_0^x f(t) dt[/itex], where [itex]f[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable on [itex]\mathbb R[/itex]. Give an [itex]\epsilon - \delta[/itex] proof that [itex]g'(y) = f(y)[/itex] if [itex]y\in (0,\infty)[/itex] is a point of continuity of [itex]f[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I need to show that
    [tex]
    f(y) = \lim_{h\to 0} \int_y^{y+h} \frac{1}{h} f(t) dt.
    [/tex]
    My idea was to try to do this in terms of sequences; i.e., to let [itex]\{h_n\}[/itex] be any sequence of real numbers such that [itex]h_n \to 0[/itex], and then to phrase the limit above in terms of a limit as [itex]n\to \infty[/itex]. I had then planned to use something like the dominated convergence theorem. But I don't have any idea how to make use of the hypothesis that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous at [itex]y[/itex], so I'm not sure if this is the right approach.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

could you look at it as follows:
    [tex]f(y) = \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} f(t) dt[/tex]

then use the conitinuity of f to show that as h gets small
    [tex] \int_y^{y+h} f(t) dt \approx f(t).h[/tex]

4. Aug 15, 2010 #3
    Ok. I think I know how to do this. Here is a complete solution: Let [itex]f \in L^1(\mathbb R)[/itex]. We want to show that, given any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], we can find a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that
    [tex]
    \left| \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} f - f(y) \right| < \epsilon
    [/tex]
    whenever [itex]|h| < \delta[/itex]. Since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous at [itex]y[/itex], we know we can find a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]|t - y| < \delta[/itex] implies [itex]|f(t) - f(y)| < \epsilon[/itex]. So, if we make [itex]|h| < \delta[/itex], we have
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    \left| \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} f - f(y) \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} f \right|
    & \leq \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} \left| f(t) - f(y) \right| dt\\
    & \leq \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} \epsilon dt = \epsilon.
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

That does it, I think.

5. Aug 15, 2010 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

There is a typo, you should write:
    [tex]
    \left| \frac{1}{h} \int_y^{y+h} f - f(y) \right| =\Bigg|\frac{1}{h}\int_{y}^{y+h}f-f(y)\int_{y}^{y+h}\frac{1}{h}\Bigg|
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook