Differentiation of vector function(explanation of solution)

In summary: Yes, you're on the right track. The curve described by r(t) is a circle with radius c. Can you visualize how the tangent vector (r'(t)) would be orthogonal to the position vector (r(t)) at any point on this circle?I think you're going round in circles on this problem!Haha, good one! But yes, I agree. Let's try to approach this from a different angle. Can you state the definition of a dot product and see if it helps in understanding the question?
negation

Homework Statement

Show that if the vector function r(t) is continuously differentiable for t on an interval I and |r(t)| = c, a constant for all t [itex]\in I[/itex], then r'(t) is orthorgonal to r(t) for all t [itex]\in I[/itex]

What would the curve described by r(t) look like?

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given as:

|r(t)|2 = r(t) . r(t)

r(t).r(t) = c2 ( I can see the algebraic reasoning for this but what's the conceptual reasoning behind?)

then,

r'(t).r(t) + r(t).r'(t) = 0

that is, 2r'(t) .r(t) = 0. Hence r'(t) is orthorgonal to r(t) for all t.

What is the question I should be asking myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

Show that if the vector function r(t) is continuously differentiable for t on an interval I and |r(t)| = c, a constant for all t [itex]\in I[/itex], then r'(t) is orthorgonal to r(t) for all t [itex]\in I[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given as:

|r(t)|2 = r(t) . r(t)

r(t).r(t) = c2 ( I can see the algebraic reasoning for this but what's the conceptual reasoning behind?)

then,

r'(t).r(t) + r(t).r'(t) = 0

that is, 2r'(t) .r(t) = 0. Hence r'(t) is orthorgonal to r(t) for all t.

What is the question I should be asking myself?

Not one, but three questions that I would suggest:

1) What is the definition of a dot product? Don't just quote a formula, define the terms.

2) What is the dot product of a non-zero vector with itself? Go back to the definition in 1) to answer this.

3) What is the dot product of two non-zero vectors that are perpendicular to each other? Conversely, what can be said when two non-zero vectors have a dot product of zero?

I assume you get the product rule part (works the same as for scalar variables) and the commutativity and associativity parts allowing you to group the terms. If not, you should clarify exactly what doubts you have about those.

Curious3141 said:
Not one, but three questions that I would suggest:

1) What is the definition of a dot product? Don't just quote a formula, define the terms.

2) What is the dot product of a non-zero vector with itself? Go back to the definition in 1) to answer this.

3) What is the dot product of two non-zero vectors that are perpendicular to each other? Conversely, what can be said when two non-zero vectors have a dot product of zero?

I assume you get the product rule part (works the same as for scalar variables) and the commutativity and associativity parts allowing you to group the terms. If not, you should clarify exactly what doubts you have about those.

I suppose it's about understanding the question. The solutions appear pretty trivial but I'm having a slightly difficult time interpreting what the question wants of me exactly.

negation said:
I suppose it's about understanding the question. The solutions appear pretty trivial but I'm having a slightly difficult time interpreting what the question wants of me exactly.

negation said:
Show that r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t in the interval. "Orthogonal to" should suggest something to you.
negation said:
You're given that |r(t)| is constant. Do you have any ideas about what such a curve might look like?

Mark44 said:
Show that r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t in the interval. "Orthogonal to" should suggest something to you.
You're given that |r(t)| is constant. Do you have any ideas about what such a curve might look like?

It suggest that for the interval for which t is defined, r'(t) dot r(t) = 0.

I don't. Wolfram was unable to plot the graph too. But, I'm going in on a leg and state that it is an absolute value graph? y = |r(t)|?

negation said:

I don't. Wolfram was unable to plot the graph too. But, I'm going in on a leg and state that it is an absolute value graph? y = |r(t)|?

I think you're going round in circles on this problem!

perok said:
i think you're going round in circles on this problem!
lol!

negation said:
This is a good start. Can you rewrite the dot product using its definition?
negation said:

1. What is differentiation of vector function?

Differentiation of vector function is the process of finding the derivative of a vector function with respect to its independent variable. It is similar to the usual differentiation of a single variable function, but instead of having a single output, a vector function has multiple outputs.

2. Why is differentiation of vector function important?

Differentiation of vector function is important because it allows us to understand the rate of change of a vector function at a specific point. It also helps us to find the gradient of a vector function, which is useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How is differentiation of vector function different from differentiation of single variable function?

The main difference between differentiation of vector function and single variable function is that in vector function, there are multiple outputs for a single input, while in single variable function, there is only one output for a single input. This means that in vector function, we need to take partial derivatives for each component of the vector function, while in single variable function, we only need to take one derivative.

4. What is the process of differentiating a vector function?

The process of differentiating a vector function involves taking the derivative of each component of the vector function with respect to the independent variable. This is done by applying the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, to each component of the vector function.

5. What are the applications of differentiation of vector function?

Differentiation of vector function has various applications, such as finding the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, calculating the rate of change in economics and finance, and determining the direction of maximum change in a physical system. It is also used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum values of a vector function.