1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation with respect to covariant component of a vector

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    I want to prove that differentiation with respec to covariant component gives a contravariant vector operator. I'm following Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. In the first place he shows that differentiation with respecto to a contravariant component of the coordinate vector transforms as the component of a covariant vector operator.

For this, he implicitly uses a change of variables: ##\displaystyle x^{\alpha}=x^{\alpha} (x^{ \beta } )## So using the rule for implicit differentiation:

##\displaystyle \frac{ \partial}{ \partial x^{ \alpha} }= \frac{ \partial x^{\beta} }{ \partial x^{\alpha} } \frac{\partial}{ \partial x^{ \beta} }##

Now I want to show that: ##\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\alpha}}=\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\beta}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{ \beta}}## I think that this is the expresion I should find, but I'm not sure, Jackson didn't give it explicitly.

He suggests to use that ##x_{\alpha}=g_{\alpha \beta}x^{\beta}##, g is the metric tensor.

I need some guidance for this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2
    Ok, I worked it this way. I supposed I had a scalar function of ##x_{\alpha}##, ##f(x_{\alpha})##. And because ##x_{\alpha}=g_{\alpha \beta}x^{\beta}## I have that ##x_{\alpha}=x_{\alpha}(x^{\beta})##.

Then I differentiated f:

##\displaystyle \frac{df}{dx_{\alpha}}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}} \frac{\partial x_{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\beta}}=g_{\alpha \beta}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}}## I've used that the metric tensor is independt of the coordinates of the vectors, I'm not sure if thats right in general, I'm working with special relativity and I think that this hold in this particular case.

Then I have

##\displaystyle \frac{\partial }{\partial x_{\alpha}}=g_{\alpha \beta}\frac{\partial }{\partial x_{\alpha}}##

This isn't the law of transformation I'm looking for. Anyway, it seems pretty intuitive that it should hold that if the differentiation with respect to a contravariant component of the coordinate vector transforms as the component of a covariant vector operator, then differentiation with respect to a covariant component should transform as a contravariant vector, because I think there must be some sort of symmetry between the space and its dual space.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. May 13, 2015 #3
    An other way would be just to consider a change of variables ##x_{\alpha}=x_{\alpha}(x_{\beta})## and a function ##f(x_{\alpha})##, and differentiate using the chain rule.

Then I get the desired result, but is not clear to me why in the first case, when deriving with respect to a contravariant component, I should use implicit differentiation, and why in this other case I get the result just by direct differentiation and using the chain rule.

I was wrong, I don't get the desired result, I get: ##\displaystyle \frac{df}{dx_{\alpha}}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}} \frac{\partial x_{\alpha}}{\partial x_{\beta}}##

And I should have: ##\displaystyle \frac{df}{dx_{\alpha}}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\beta}} \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\beta}}##

5. May 13, 2015 #4
    I think I was making a bad use of the chain rule. So, here I go again: ##x_{\alpha}=x_{\alpha}(x_{\beta})##. ##f=f(x_{\alpha})##

##\displaystyle \frac{df}{dx_{\beta}}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}} \frac{\partial x_{\alpha}}{\partial x_{\beta}}##

Now I've used that ##g_{\alpha \beta}=g_{\beta \alpha}## and that ##dx^{\alpha}=g^{\alpha \beta}dx_{\beta}##

Then:

##\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}} \frac{\partial x_{\alpha}}{\partial x_{\beta}}=\frac{g^{\beta \alpha}}{g^{\alpha \beta}}\frac{\partial x_{\alpha}}{\partial x_{\beta}} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}}=\frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{\alpha}}##

So that

##\displaystyle \frac{\partial }{\partial x_{\beta}}= \frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} \frac{\partial }{\partial x_{\alpha}}##

As I wanted to show.

EDIT: I see I have a problem here too, I have repited indices more than twice, so this approach is wrong too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted