Difficult air resistance problem

In summary: The change in vertical velocity is strictly due to air resistance, which is strictly related to the vertical velocity.
Xile
1. In a shotput event, a 2kg shotput is launched from a height of 1.5m with an initial velocity of 8m/s at an angle 60degrees to the horizontal. The formula R=0.0000378.v^2 gives the force due to air resistance (R) where v is the instantaneous velocity. Find the ratio of the gravitational force to the force due to air resistance, just before the shotput hits the ground.

If anyone could do this it would be much appreciated, cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show some work. Write the equation of motions for horizontal and vertical flight with air resistance.

The force due to gravity is quite straightforward, but one needs the velocity to compute air resistance which will happen at an angle steeper than 60° to horizontal.

I spent a while on it, and seemed to end up with some weird looking equations. First i wrote an equation for both components of the velocity
Vv = Uv - (9.8 + Vv^2 . 0.0000378).t ie (0.0000378.t)Vv^2+Vv+(9.8t-Uv)=0
and same process (0.0000378t)Vh^2+Vh-Uh=0 keeping in mind we have the initial velocity and angle

i also got equations for displacement
Sv=Uvt - 0.5(9.8 + R).t^2
Sh=Uht - 0.5Rt^2
but i don't have the horizontal or vertical displacement, so i substituted into another equation and got
Vh^2 = Uh^2 - 2 . (9.8) . (Uht - 0.5Rt^2) which simplifies to
Vh=((16-8x9.8t)/(1-0.0000378x9.8)) but i don't have t, am i heading in the right direction coz i seem to be heading around in circles a bit.

Xile said:
so i substituted into another equation and got
Vh^2 = Uh^2 - 2 . (9.8) . (Uht - 0.5Rt^2) which simplifies to
Vh=((16-8x9.8t)/(1-0.0000378x9.8)) but i don't have t, am i heading in the right direction coz i seem to be heading around in circles a bit.
edit: that above equation is wrong and when i redid it its even more crazy with even mroe variables. i have the answer at the back of the book, its 8100:1 but i have no idea where it came from.

Last edited:
Careful that R is a resistance force, so the acceleration would be R/m.

Also, with respect to the vertical velocity component, R acts downward with gravity as the shot ascends, but then acts opposite gravity when the shot descends.

R acts continuously against the horizontal velocity component.

my mistake, but even so all i end up with is more variables and equations.

Just to be sure, R=0.0000378v2 is correct, right?

Then we know that R must always be less than 0.0000378 (8)2, because air resistance is always reducing the velocity components.

Treat vx and vy separately, and the vertical problem will have two parts.

Try using [tex]\frac{dv_x(t)}{dt}=-(k/m){v_x}^2(t)[/tex] for the horizontal motion.

vertically [tex]\frac{dv_y(t)}{dt}=-(k/m){v_y}^2(t)-g[/tex] on the way up. On the way down, change the sign in front of the air resistance term.

ah, that looks a lot better but i don't really understand how you got to there? it confuses me..

I simply wrote the equations for the changes in velocity (acclerations) in the vertical and horizontal. I applied Newton's laws, and then divide the forces by m to get accelerations.

The change in horizontal velocity is strictly due to air resistance, which is strictly related to the horizontal velocity.

I did it similarly for the vertical direction, but there gravity is always acting downward, and realize that the air resistance operates against the velocity - down going up and up going down. At the apogee, the problem becomes one of free fall, but with air resistance.

but wouldn't the Vx(t)^2 be in the numerator, same with Vy(t)^2

No, when rearranging, one obtains dv/v2 = -k/m dt in x, and

dv/(g+(k/m)v2) = - dt in y for the way up.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is a force that acts on objects as they move through the air. It is caused by the friction between the surface of the object and the air molecules in the surrounding environment.

2. Why is air resistance a difficult problem to solve?

Air resistance is a difficult problem to solve because it depends on many factors such as the shape, size, and speed of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. It also varies with altitude and temperature, making it a complex and dynamic phenomenon.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object by exerting an opposing force in the direction of motion. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, eventually reaching a point where it equals the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a state of equilibrium known as terminal velocity.

4. How can air resistance be calculated?

Air resistance can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the various factors that affect it. These equations can be complex and require advanced knowledge of physics and numerical methods.

5. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape or surface of an object to make it more aerodynamic. This can be achieved through techniques such as streamlining, adding fins or wings, or using specialized coatings. Additionally, reducing the speed or density of the air can also decrease the effects of air resistance.