Difficult capacitance problem -- 3 long concentric metal cylinders

In summary, the solution found online claims that the effective capacitance between the middle and inner shell can be seen as: C (effective) = C1 + C2, where C1 is the capacitance between the inner and outermost shell, and C2 is the capacitance between the middle and outermost shell. Apparently C1 and C2 are arranged in parallel, and the capacitance between the middle and inner shell is the effective capacitance across this parallel arrangement.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Three long concentric conducting cylindrical shells have radii R,2R and (root2)*R. Inner and outer shells are connected to each other. The capacitance across middle and inner shells per unit length is:
Relevant Equations
Capacitance per unit length for cylindrical shells:
C = 2pi e0/ ln(r2/r1)
A solution I found online claims that the effective capacitance between the middle and inner shell can be seen as:

C (effective) = C1 + C2,
where C1 is the capacitance between the inner and outermost shell, and C2 is the capacitance between the middle and outermost shell. Apparently C1 and C2 are arranged in parallel, and the capacitance between the middle and inner shell is the effective capacitance across this parallel arrangement.

Does anyone know why this is so?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Something confuses me here. Is there supposed to be a straight linear conductor located at the center of all shells? Otherwise how can we define the capacitance C1 between the inner and outer shell since they are connected , hence they are at same potential , hence the potential difference ##V## is zero so ##C_1=\frac{Q_1}{V}=\frac{Q_1}{0}##??

Delta2 said:
Something confuses me here. Is there supposed to be a straight linear conductor located at the center of all shells? Otherwise how can we define the capacitance C1 between the inner and outer shell since they are connected , hence they are at same potential , hence the potential difference ##V## is zero so ##C_1=\frac{Q_1}{V}=\frac{Q_1}{0}##??
Exactly. I am not sure either. How would you solve this problem?
The link below is where I found the problem. Unfortunately, the teacher is speaking in hindi (i think), which I do not understand. Nonetheless, his workings can be roughly understood.
https://doubtnut.com/question-answe...2r-and-2sqrtr-inner-and-outer-shells-12228579

The following links explain the same problem too:
https://www.getpractice.com/questions/126640
https://www.toppr.com/ask/question/three-long-concentric-conducting-cylindrical-shells-have-radii-r2-r-and-2sqrt2-r-inner-and/
https://brainly.in/question/11974351

If you think about it like this, it might help…

Call the inner cylinder A, the middle cylinder B, and the outer cylinder C.

##C_1##’s ‘plates’ are the outer surface of A and inner surface of B.
##C_2##’s ‘plates’ are the outer surface of B and inner surface of C.

The connection between A and C form a junction between ##C_1## and ##C_2##.
The body of B forms another junction between ##C_1## and ##C_2##.
So ##C1## and ##C2## are in parallel.

Likes Delta2
Steve4Physics said:

Call the inner cylinder A, the middle cylinder B, and the outer cylinder C.

##C_1##’s ‘plates’ are the outer surface of A and inner surface of B.
##C_2##’s ‘plates’ are the outer surface of B and inner surface of C.

The connection between A and C form a junction between ##C_1## and ##C_2##.
The body of B forms another junction between ##C_1## and ##C_2##.
So ##C1## and ##C2## are in parallel.
This has been very helpful. However, it the solution online claims that the capacitance between AB = Capacitance of AC + BC. Why is this so? I can't see how a similar argument is applied.

Likes Delta2
phantomvommand said:
This has been very helpful. However, it the solution online claims that the capacitance between AB = Capacitance of AC + BC. Why is this so? I can't see how a similar argument is applied.

I have since looked at each of the links in detail. Apart from the original link, the remaining links describe a problem where the radii are R, 2R and sqrt8 R, while the original problem describes a problem where the radii are R, sqrt2 R and 2R.

However, they all get the same answer of 6e0/ln2. I suspect the original link solved the problem wrongly. Following Steve4Physics's logic, the 6e0/ln2 can indeed be obtained for the problem where the radii are R, 2R and sqrt8 R.

Likes Steve4Physics
phantomvommand said:
However, it the solution online claims that the capacitance between AB = Capacitance of AC + BC. Why is this so? I can't see how a similar argument is applied.
I can’t follow the online solution. It basically says:
C1 is formed by the outer surface of A and the inner surface of C.
C2 is formed by the outer surface of B and the inner surface of C.

But this means the inner surface of C has two (conflicting) functions – simultaneously acting as a plate belonging to 2 different capacitors. This doesn’t make sense.

Also, C1 isn’t a simple capacitor because it has cylinder B sitting inside.

So the online solution has some problems.

Likes phantomvommand
Steve4Physics said:
Yes. Perhaps it is easier to think of the corresponding parallel plate capacitor having layers A,B,C.
If we attach a wire to A,C as one port and to B as the other this will also give ##C_{AB}\parallel C_{BC}##.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is defined as the ratio of the electric charge on an object to the electric potential difference across it.

2. How do you calculate capacitance?

Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the electric charge on an object by the electric potential difference across it. In the case of the difficult capacitance problem with three long concentric metal cylinders, the capacitance can be calculated using the formula C = 2πεl / ln(b/a), where ε is the permittivity of the material between the cylinders, l is the length of the cylinders, b is the radius of the outer cylinder, and a is the radius of the inner cylinder.

3. What is a difficult capacitance problem?

A difficult capacitance problem is a problem that involves calculating the capacitance of a system with complex geometry or multiple components. In this case, the three long concentric metal cylinders present a challenging problem due to the overlapping of electric fields and the need to consider the permittivity of the material between the cylinders.

4. Why is the capacitance of three long concentric metal cylinders difficult to calculate?

The capacitance of three long concentric metal cylinders is difficult to calculate because the electric fields from each cylinder overlap, making it challenging to determine the total electric potential difference across the system. Additionally, the permittivity of the material between the cylinders must be taken into account, adding another layer of complexity to the calculation.

5. What is the significance of solving the difficult capacitance problem with three long concentric metal cylinders?

Solving the difficult capacitance problem with three long concentric metal cylinders is significant because it demonstrates the application of capacitance in a real-world scenario. It also requires a deep understanding of electric fields, permittivity, and geometry, making it a valuable problem for students and researchers in the field of physics or engineering.