Finding the voltage of a circuit

In summary: Then show the horizontal asymptote that you claim to be 10 V.I think you should be able to figure out how to get the figure from the statement and link. I think you should be able to figure out how to attach it to a post, too.If you cannot do that, you need to learn how because you will need that skill in the future. If you have already learned how, then you need to practice until you are good at it.I have no intention of trying to reconstruct the figure for you because, for one thing, I cannot even guess what C3s means.In summary, this conversation discusses a problem involving a variable capacitor in a circuit. The electric potential V1 across capacitor 1

Homework Statement

Capacitor 3 in Figure (a) is a variable capacitor (its capacitance C3 can be varied). Figure (b) gives the electric potential V1 across capacitor 1 versus C3. The horizontal scale is set by C3s = 20 μF. Electric potential V1 approaches an asymptote of 10 V as C3 approaches infinity. What are (a) the electric potential V across the battery, (b)C1, and (c)C2?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c25/fig25_44_wiley.gif

Homework Equations

C=q/V=(permitivity constant)A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been stuck on this problem for 1 hour. I just can't figure it out. I can't figure out the voltage of the battery, which is supposed to be 10V.

What I've tried to do is look at when C3=infinity which means that the distance between the capacitor is 0, so its just a wire. Then I get a parallel circuit with C1, and C2, where the voltage going through C1 is 10V. This makes a series circuit with C1, C2. So I know that the voltage of the battery = 10V + the voltage through C2. I can't figure out how to get 10V for the battery

Physics news on Phys.org
x86 said:
What I've tried to do is look at when C3=infinity which means that the distance between the capacitor is 0, so its just a wire. Then I get a parallel circuit with C1, and C2, where the voltage going through C1 is 10V. This makes a series circuit with C1, C2. So I know that the voltage of the battery = 10V + the voltage through C2. I can't figure out how to get 10V for the battery

I'm not following where you state that C3 = ##\infty## makes a parallel circuit and then in the next sentence say it's a series circuit.

Can you derive a general expression for the voltage V1 in terms of the battery voltage, V, and C1, C2, and C3? You can then see what happens as C3 goes to infinity.

x86 said:
What I've tried to do is look at when C3=infinity which means that the distance between the capacitor is 0, so its just a wire.
While that concept of it being "just a wire" might work for you in most situations, rather than "distance being 0" it may be better to think of plate area being huge.

As TSny points out, your narrative is confused/confusing, so you need to get that sorted out.

I think you should sketch your own copy of the graph that is provided, but this time label the horizontal axis in uF not their confusing C3s nonsense.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that drives electric current through a circuit.

2. How do you find the voltage of a circuit?

To find the voltage of a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be written as V = IR. You can also use a voltmeter to directly measure the voltage at a specific point in the circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

4. Can the voltage of a circuit change?

Yes, the voltage of a circuit can change depending on the components in the circuit and their arrangement. For example, if you add resistors in series, the total voltage decreases, but if you add them in parallel, the total voltage increases.

5. Why is it important to know the voltage of a circuit?

Knowing the voltage of a circuit is important because it helps us understand how electricity is flowing through a circuit and how much energy is being used. It also allows us to calculate the power and efficiency of the circuit, and ensure that the components are not being overloaded with too much voltage.