1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult exponential equation

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    1. I need to solve the following exponential equation for t.

[tex]\frac{1}{20} =0.5 e^{-0.877t} - 0.05 e ^{-9.123t}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2
    i think you can take the t out and calculate the 0.5e things with eachohter inside parathensis and put the t outside. check my thread Hardest Math Problem EVAR!!! i had the same problem.

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3
    Unfortunately, due to the properties of exponentials, I don't think I can take the t out. If the exponents of the exponential were sums instead of products, the problem would be much easier and would allow me to factor out an e^t. But I'm not sure how to isolate the t in this specific equation.

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Nothing obvious comes to my mind, so you might need to calculate t by an approximation method. For example, using Excel, the exponential expression on the right side of your equation equals .055819 when t is 2.5. The value you want is slightly larger than 2.5, I believe.

Note to EternityMech: There is no such word in English as "evar."

6. Jul 29, 2009 #5
    w00t?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook