Difficult Predicate Logic Symbolization

In summary, the conversation discusses how to symbolize a sentence about mean and friendly elves biting, and whether or not they are provoked. The attempted solution uses symbols such as Fx, Gx, Hx, Ix, and Jx to represent friendly, mean, elf, bite, and provoked, respectively. However, the solution may be missing some components and could be simplified by removing the x and y variables.
number0

Homework Statement

I do not know if this is the right forum or subforum for this kind of topic. So if it is not, I apologize in advance.Symbolize the following sentence:

Given that some mean elf will bite and some friendly one will too, the mean ones will bite whether or not provoked but the friendly ones will bite only if provoked.

Homework Equations

Fx: x is friendly
Gx: x is mean
Hx: x is an elf
Ix: x will bite
Jx: x is provoked

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt and to me it seems right, but I could be missing one tiny simple thing.

∃x∃y(((Hx∧Gx∧Ix)∧(Fy∧Hy∧Iy))→((Jx∨∼Jx)→Ix)∧(Iy→Jy))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, given I'm actually not that good at these...

First for clarity and to simplify reading, I would probably use the folliwng nonmenclature (some good notation can simplify/clarify your problem immensly)
E-Elf, M-Mean, F-Friendly, P-Provoked, B-Bites

if I look at yours
∃x∃y(((Ex∧Mx∧Bx)∧(Fy∧Ey∧By))→((Px∨∼Px)→Bx)∧(By→Py) )

first I note (Px∨∼Px) is always true, as the elf is either provoked or not, so I'm not sure you need that? so it becomes
∃x∃y(((Ex∧Mx∧Bx)∧(Fy∧Ey∧By))→(Bx)∧(By→Py)

then I'd say both Bx and By are assumed true in the LHS, so are always true when the RHS is evaluated? so it becomes
∃x∃y(((Ex∧Mx∧Bx)∧(Fy∧Ey∧By))→Py

Which doesn't tell us a heap... and then I would ask if you really need the x and the y to cover the two cases when the elf is mean or friendly, and whether friendly and mean were mutually exclusive so you could you assume friendly = (not mean), and the "for exists" only shows its true for some x and y, not all of them...

So I was thinking you could simplify your approach by dropping the x and ys, and looking at it as follows...

Given that some mean elf will bite and some friendly one will too,
(is an elve and bites)
the mean ones will bite whether or not provoked but the friendly ones will bite only if provoked.
(implies either mean or friendly and provoked)

Last edited:
Thanks for your time lanedance, but I am still stuck!

ok how about looking at the first bracketed comment, how would you write that?

1. What is predicate logic symbolization?

Predicate logic symbolization is a formal language used in logic to represent statements or arguments. It uses symbols to represent logical connectives, quantifiers, and predicates, and allows for precise and unambiguous expressions of logical relationships.

2. Why is predicate logic symbolization considered difficult?

Predicate logic symbolization can be challenging because it requires a strong understanding of logical concepts and rules. It also involves complex symbol manipulation and can be prone to errors if done hastily or without proper knowledge.

3. How is predicate logic symbolization used in scientific research?

Predicate logic symbolization is a commonly used tool in scientific research, particularly in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. It allows researchers to formalize and analyze complex arguments and theories, making it an essential tool for logical reasoning and critical thinking.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using predicate logic symbolization?

Some common mistakes in predicate logic symbolization include confusing the use of quantifiers, misinterpreting the meaning of logical symbols, and forgetting to properly define predicates. It is important to carefully follow the rules and guidelines of predicate logic to avoid these errors.

5. How can I improve my skills in predicate logic symbolization?

Like any other skill, improving in predicate logic symbolization requires practice and dedication. It is essential to have a solid understanding of logical concepts and to regularly practice applying them to various arguments and statements. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts or taking courses in logic can also help improve one's skills in predicate logic symbolization.