Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty following example in Taylor's Classical Mechanics

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1
    http://i.imgur.com/GP6QorG.jpg

I don't follow the integration in it.

I'm assuming Fx(x,0) and Fy(1,y) are the partial derivatives of F with respect to x and y, respectively, but given that, I can't seem to get my head around the result where the partial with respect to x is Fx = (x, 0) instead of Fx = (0, 2), and similar for y.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2
    They are not the partial derivatives , they are the x and y component of the F force. In the straight path from O to Q its only the x component that does work (y component is always perpendicular). In the path from Q to P its only the y component that does work.

The x component in the path from O to Q is zero because the force is F=(y,2x) so the x component is simply y but y=0 along this path. Similarly the y component from Q to P is simply 2x, but x=1 always for this path so the y component is 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook