1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty with accumulations points

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys,

I'm having real difficulty with understanding accumulation points. I don' really know why that is since others seem to understand the concept fine but I'm very lost.
    For example, I'm practicing some questions and one of the is :
    If S is the set of rational numbers with 1<x<2, then is √2 is an accumulation point?

I am completely lost in how to go about figuring this out.
    Examples help, so if you have any good examples that could make this concept a little clearer, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, is your understanding of the definition of "accumulation point"? One that is commonly used is "p is an accumulation point of set A if and only if there exist a sequence of points in A (not including p) that converges to p. Another is that every neighborhood of p contains at least one point of A (other than p).

[itex]\sqrt{2}= 1.41421...[/itex], right? So given any [itex]\delta> 0[/itex], there exist a power of 10 such that [itex]10^n< \delta[/itex]. Cutting that number off after n decimal places gives a rational number closer to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] than [itex]\delta[/itex].

More generally, given any real number, there exist a sequence of rational numbers converging to it.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    I struggle with how/what process I need to follow to find accumulation pts of a set or determining of a given value is an accumulation pt.

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know what the definition of "accumulation point" is? It sounds like you are saying you don't.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    You are right, I have the definition but that's when I'm struggling...truly understanding it and applying it.

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does it help to put it like this: p is an accumulation point of S if you can get arbitrarily close to it by picking points of S-{p}.
    There's any number of sequences of rationals in [1,2] that converge to sqrt(2). Halls gave you a very easy and obvious one. Another is to start with x = 1 and generate a sequence of rationals by iterating x' = 1/(1+x) + 1. (You can get that formula by writing y2 - 1 = 1, so (y-1) = 1/(y+1).)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook