Having difficulty with concept of turning points

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for stationary points and understanding the concept of acceleration in relation to a car's speed. The equations for distance, speed, and acceleration are given and used to determine the nature of the stationary points. The conversation also clarifies the relationship between speed and acceleration, and how a car can have a speed of 0 and a nonzero acceleration.
Marcus27

Homework Statement

I understand how to solve for stationary points, and then take the second derivative and input the values of x to determine the nature of the stationary points, if x > 0 then the stationary point is a minimum and if x < 0 then the stationary point is a maximum. What I am having difficulty with is the concept.

Homework Equations

If f(x) = x^3 -3x^2 + 4
f'(x) = 3x^2 -6x
f''(x) = 6x - 6
Lets say that f(x) gives the distance traveled by a car after x seconds, so f'(x) would give a speed graph, and f''(x) would be an acceleration graph. However, solving for the stationary point of the graph f(x)
f'(x) = 0
3x^2 -6x = 0
3x(x-2) = 0
Stationary points are (0,4) and (2,0)
Plugging these values into the acceleration function,
f''(0)= 6(0) - 6 = -6
f''(2) = 6(2) -6 = 6

This is all well and good but I do not understand how a car can be traveling at 0 speed and have a negative or positive acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus27 said:

Homework Statement

I understand how to solve for stationary points, and then take the second derivative and input the values of x to determine the nature of the stationary points, if x > 0 then the stationary point is a minimum and if x < 0 then the stationary point is a maximum. What I am having difficulty with is the concept.

Homework Equations

If f(x) = x^3 -3x^2 + 4
f'(x) = 3x^2 -6x
f''(x) = 6x - 6
Lets say that f(x) gives the distance traveled by a car after x seconds, so f'(x) would give a speed graph, and f''(x) would be an acceleration graph. However, solving for the stationary point of the graph f(x)
f'(x) = 0
3x^2 -6x = 0
3x(x-2) = 0
Stationary points are (0,4) and (2,0)
Plugging these values into the acceleration function,
f''(0)= 6(0) - 6 = -6
f''(2) = 6(2) -6 = 6

This is all well and good but I do not understand how a car can be traveling at 0 speed and have a negative or positive acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration is the rate of change of speed. I don't see any problem with having a speed of 0 and a rate of change of speed that's not 0.

Dick said:
Acceleration is the rate of change of speed. I don't see any problem with having a speed of 0 and a rate of change of speed that's not 0.

Newton's laws state an object will remain at rest or in motion until an unbalanced force acts upon it, so does the acceleration not effect the motion of the car and therefore its speed?.

Marcus27 said:
Newton's laws state an object will remain at rest or in motion until an unbalanced force acts upon it, so does the acceleration not effect the motion of the car and therefore its speed?.

Then having a nonzero acceleration means a unbalanced force is acting on the car. What's the problem? Of course having a nonzero acceleration affects the cars motion and speed.

Dick said:
Then having a nonzero acceleration means a unbalanced force is acting on the car. What's the problem? Of course having a nonzero acceleration affects the cars motion and speed.
Oh, I think I understand now the derivative of distance as a function of time = instantaneous speed, for some reason I was treating it as constant speed. So, if a car starts of at -10m/s and accelerates at 5m/s^2 then at time = 2 seconds it's speed is equal to zero while it maintains an acceleration of 5 m/s^2. Thank you for helping me clarify this. :)

Marcus27 said:
Oh, I think I understand now the derivative of distance as a function of time = instantaneous speed, for some reason I was treating it as constant speed. So, if a car starts of at -10m/s and accelerates at 5m/s^2 then at time = 2 seconds it's speed is equal to zero while it maintains an acceleration of 5 m/s^2. Thank you for helping me clarify this. :)

Exactly. Wish I could have explained it that well.

1. What are turning points in a scientific context?

Turning points in science refer to critical moments or events that mark a significant change in a system or process. They can be positive, such as a breakthrough discovery, or negative, such as a sudden extinction of a species.

2. Why is understanding turning points important in scientific research?

Understanding turning points is crucial in scientific research because it allows us to identify and analyze critical changes in a system, which can lead to a better understanding of complex phenomena and inform future predictions and decision-making.

3. How can we identify turning points in a scientific study?

Turning points can be identified through various methods, including statistical analysis, visualizations, and expert knowledge. They are often characterized by sudden shifts in data patterns or changes in the behavior of a system.

4. What challenges might arise when studying turning points in science?

One challenge is determining causality, as turning points can be influenced by multiple factors. Additionally, not all turning points are easily detectable, and their significance may only become apparent in hindsight.

5. How can understanding turning points contribute to scientific advancements?

By studying turning points, scientists can gain insights into the underlying mechanisms and drivers of changes in a system, leading to new theories, hypotheses, and potential solutions to complex problems.