1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty working with SI and derived SI conversions

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    The physics textbook i'm working with doesn't seem to give me the required background for working with and understanding SI and derived units. Here is an example of something i am struggling with:

In studying fluid resistance, the book starts by displaying 2 equations.

1 is for fluid resistance when the object is at low speed and is f = kv (5.7)
    The other is for when the object is at high speed and is f = Dv^2 (5.8)

In this case with the constants k and D my book has this to say:

You should verify that the units of the constant k in Eq. (5.7) are N x s/m or kg/s and that the units of the constant D in Eq. (5.8) are N x s^2/m^2 or kg/m

So the problem I'm having is that i see one of the two SI derived units (in bold) and i try to make sense of it intuitively. Like how a velocity = m/s, i can clearly imagine that it is the amount of metres travelled in a given length of time. But I have no idea where to start for intuition for these.

My thought process
    For N x s/m, I read that as "newton seconds per metre". So fiirstly, newton-seconds: that's the amount of seconds for which a newton force is applied? And then i try to conceptualize dividing that along a metre and i cant conceptualize it. Is it the quantity of newton-seconds that "pass" in the travel of an object through one metre of fluid?
    Edit: I thought i read that it was called dynamic viscosity, but on second inspection that would be m^2

Anyway, my general issue as evidenced above is my lack of certainty about how i should treat derived units: whether i should try to visualize them intuitively or what. Also which resources i could use to gain practice and understanding with working with these units.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can try, but it's not important. The units of constants are defined to make the equations work dimensionally.

- k tells you how many Newtons force increase per 1m/s velocity increase

- D tells you how many Newtons force increase per 1m^2/s^2 squared velocity increase (per area of a square with v as side length)

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Sorry if this seems like a patronising remark, but what a well-posed question, and what an excellent answer!

I think that looking for a the conceptual significance of units is good, but you've got to know when to give up and just treat a unit as a product of algebraic symbols! An example would be the unit of G in Newton's law of gravitation:
    [tex]|\textbf F| = \frac{GMm}{r^2}.[/tex]
    If we leave the unit as [itex]\text{N} \ \text{m}^{2} \ \text{kg}^{-2}[/itex] it retains a manifest meaning. But if we express it in SI base units as [itex]\text{kg}^{-1} \ \text{m}{^3} \ \text{s}^{-2}[/itex] it's just a product of symbols. Still useful for checking homogeneity of units, of course.

Another nice example is [itex]\mu_0[/itex]. Its SI units are N A-2. You have to think about why m (metre) doesn't appear in the unit. I sometimes provocatively pronounce the unit "newton per square ampère", but I suspect that's not relevant.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook