Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking: SI derived units with higher base powers.

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a chemistry setup and we're building some protocols. We decided that every communication on the protocol between two devices will be in SI units. However, for a data descriptor I plan to use 4 bits per standard SI unit. This means that units for variables can go from -8 to 7.

Now, I'm wondering if there is any measurable SI derived unit which has a higher power than 7 or lower than -8?. I can only get to -3 or +4, but that's it. Anyone suggestions?

For instance, if you have pressure in hPa, this is kg * s^-2 * m^-1, the lowest is -2, highest is 1. Farad is kg^-1 m^-1 A^2 S^4, highest 4.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Knaapje! :smile:

My recommendation: don't use just 4 bits!
    It's just not worth all the problems you'll get.

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3
    In total I'll be using 7 * 4 = 28, or 32 bits because alignment. I'm just curious if there is anything which we can actually measure has more than 7 or less than -8 powers.. Went through Wikipedia as well and just get stuck on 4. Also, it has to be as little as possible to keep everything at reasonable speed. Sending a message that's twice as long just to be sure seems a bit silly.

5. Apr 25, 2013 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

As I said, it's likely not worth the trouble.
    Sending a message that is twice or 4 times as long will (almost) never be a problem.
    Handling problems because you have too little space to transfer what you want to transfer really is a problem.

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bits are cheap as chips, as they say. Neither processor power nor channel bandwidth are likely to be a serious problem for you unless you are communicating with a submarine of a deep space probe.

7. Apr 25, 2013 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you really want to save bandwidth, why not just use the ASCII text for the standard abbreviations of unit names?

"F" for farad is only 8 bits, not 28 :smile:

And when things go wrong, human-readable messages make debugging easierr.

8. Apr 25, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dude! This is the 21st century! Nobody quibbles over bits. That's what they did in like the stone age.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook