1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffracting grating problem

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A diffraction grating has period D, and each element of the grating consists of a pair of narrow slits separated by D/N where N is an integer.
    a) Sketch the diffraction pattern when the grating is normally illuminated
    b)Calculate the relative intensities $I_n$ of the various diffraction peaks of order n, for the case N=4. Which peaks are forbidden?
    c)For the case N=2 show that the solution reduced to that of a simple grating of period D/2.

2. Relevant equations

See step 3 for my full attempt to solve the problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am aware that the above solution is incorrect, because I ended up ignoring so many things that the solution equals to the one for a double slit, but superposed on a comb of delta functions. My problem is that I don't know how to write the complete function of the grating as a simple function which one could nicely manipulate. Could someone please point me in the correct direction?

P.s I am aware that my attempt of the solution is not the most clear.

P.s.s Link to the higher resolution picture here.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"narrow slits" -> you can ignore single-slit effects. There is no envelope.

The pattern there is for the grating. You can see which phase you get between the two slits for those peaks.
    What are g and a?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted