1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Understanding a solution

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (see attached problem)

2. Relevant equations
    (see attached problem)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So assuming the area of the hole is circular, halving its diameter, will decrease its area by a factor of 16. Therefore LI will be I/16? However in the solution (see attached solution) it says: 'Halving the diameter of the hole will decrease the power through it by 1/4'. How does one make this conclusion?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because ##P=IA##, therefore any change in the scaling of ##A## will result in the same amount of scaling in ##P##.

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3

perhaps some error is there- Area is proportional to (d/2)^2 !

i think one should remember 'as given' that halving the diameter will decrease the area of hole by a factor of four - but at the same time the diffracted beam increases its width by a factor of 2 - so it leads to a further spread of the same power in four times the area (decrease by a factor of four )so one gets a net 1/16 of the power.

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4
    Why does twice the width mean 4 times the area?

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##A_1=\frac{1}{4}\pi D_1^2##. Now if you set ##D_2=2D_1##, what is ##A_2=\frac{1}{4}\pi D_2^2## in terms of ##A_1##?

7. Mar 9, 2016 #6
    So the new area is 4 times the old one I see, so we are just assuming that the area of the beam incident on the screen will be circular right?

8. Mar 9, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are supposed to assume that the illumination is of plane wave from the left.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted