Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion through membrane, which boundary condition to implement?

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    Hi, I am solving the diffusion equation using explicit finite difference to model the diffusion of an analyte through a membrane. I am interested in the concentration of the analyte on the other side vs time elapsed. On one side of the membrane is an initial concentration, which I am implementing as a Dirichlet boundary condition, and the other is zero concentration of the analyte, in a blank solution. The initial condition of this other side would be 0, however I am unsure what the boundary condition would be. My first assumption would be a Neumann zero-flux boundary condition, however I don't know if this is correct. Any help on this would be great, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2
    I'm not a chemical engineer, so I don't really know the physics of your problem, but if you want your solution to actually flow through that boundary, then you can't have a Neumann condition. If it is indeed supposed not to flow through it, then I would say that you are correct :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook