Digital Cameras: Recording Progress on Drawing in One Day

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary: and then it's gone for a while. I think it has a lot to do with how I process my images: I work extremely fast, and I don't always take the time to clean up my lines.
Evo said:
Great zoob!
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
It's ominous, colourfully beautiful, and, in some spots, even human looking. Really interesting piece, Zooby.

nice---its like a cross section of a Munch and a geode/agate at the same time

GeorginaS said:
It's ominous, colourfully beautiful, and, in some spots, even human looking. Really interesting piece, Zooby.

rewebster said:
nice---its like a cross section of a Munch and a geode/agate at the same time

Thanks, you two! I had pretty bad artist's block since I finished "Smoke and Mirrors" and this was the first thing I was able to produce since then. I opened my colored pencil box last week and this is what gushed out in uncontained chaos.

why not ?
gushing is a natural process...

how about a portrait in color?

rewebster said:
why not ?
gushing is a natural process...
Indeed. It happens.
how about a portrait in color?
It could happen.

I have a new Zoobyshoe!

zooby3.jpg

Zoobyshoe creation, that is.

Oh wow, very nice, Georgina!

Mr. Zooby's work is wonderful! The one in the middle is a brand-new piece.

first i want to say that this is amazing and looks almost like a black and white photo and that i wish i could even come close to drawing something like that.
now i have to offer one piece of criticism. You did the face so well and with so much detail that hair looks like it was an after thought. From that originaly photo maybe there really isn't anything to be done about that, but maybe if added in some structure to the hair it would pop out more ...
i don't know its a minor thing, and its honestly the only thing that i think you haven't done absolutely perfect.

-for the original photo in this thread

Last edited:
What a lovely collection.

I miss Zoob. Does anyone know what he's been up to?

Updating---->

Portrait Of Katie James:
KatieJames700.jpg

Black and Grey Prismacolors on Bristol Board, 11 x 14 inches

The Perplexing Calculus Of Titles And Other Short Stories:
ThePerplexingCalculusOfTitlesAndotherShortStories.jpg

Black and Grey Prismacolors on Bristol Board, with some graphite. 11 x 14 inches

Nereid:
Nereid.jpg

Prismacolors on Bristol Board, 11 x 14 inches

Nereid: noun: 1. (Greek mythology) any of the 50 sea nymphs who were daughters of the sea god Nereus 2. gracious and intelligent former PF mentor

WB, Zoobie! I love seeing your work on this forum!

Don't you disappear again. If you do, I'll sic the Supreme Lard on you and you'll be sorry.

Outstanding work, Zooby!

Wow, I have a tear in my eye, goes to show that not giving up hope is a good thing. Those sketches are beautiful, inspiring, way to go Zoob. We (and not just me) missed you. I hope you stay and ease back into our explorations and discussions about fascinating subjects on the brain, you are one reason, not the only one, that inspired me to dig deeper. Today is going to be a good day, I just decided.

Rhody... :approve:

P.S. Zoob, I hope you saw this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=489132".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see you back. I love your art.

I love Nereid! So dreamy and sweet. :smile:

WB zoob! Awesome pictures!

Please stick around, you've been missed by so many.

Wow! Fantastic work!

Great pictures as always Zoobyshoe! :!)

Zooby just spotted on the forum, unleash the dogpile... PM's encouraged, go fellow PF'ers, GO !

Rhody... :biggrin:

I recorded another drawing step by step, but including more of the initial linear stages.

The model is Ashley, a girl I met at a coffeehouse a while back:

DSC06955-1.png

Her face is actually much wider than it looks in the photo. It's sculpted by the shadow and that shadow blends into the darkness behind her, giving the impression of a narrower face than she actually has. I'm blocking in the actual shape even though it will later be as obscured by shadow as it is in the photo.
DSC06960-2.png

DSC06966-3.png

Here I've started shading. I shade from left to right because I'm right handed and there's less chance of smudging this way. Eventually I have to lay down a separate piece of paper over the drawing where I rest my arm because the whole thing will have been partly shaded.
DSC07114-4.png

DSC07117-5.png

Big leap from last one to this one. I got into it and forgot to pause to record progress. With the background darkness added her face now looks as narrow as it does in the reference photo.
DSC07353-6.png

Up close you see what reads as smooth tone from a distance is all actually tiny lines:
DSC07357-7.png

Second eye shading started.
DSC07371-8.png

All the shading needs tuning up, but the face is basically there now. Still, the tuning up takes the most time. On the right I'm going to put "stuff": non-representational chatter whose main function is compositional, but which looks like it might mean something if you only understood it: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3349106&postcount=366
(People like to rorschach their own meanings onto that sort of thing.)

(Comments are welcome, but notice it's a long post and you don't have to quote the whole thing.)

Last edited:
That is looking great zoobyshoe. WOW that sure is a long post:biggrin:

Zooby: Awesome work. First thread I have ever subscribed to with the email notifications turned on. That's how great this thread is. I noticed awhile back that GeorginaS managed to get some prints from you. If one were interested, would one PM you about whether this is an option?

Always love seeing your work, zoob. I'm always showing it off to anyone who'll appreciate it.

edward said:
That is looking great zoobyshoe. WOW that sure is a long post:biggrin:
Thanks, edward! Yeah, it's long. Kind of a poor man's time lapse film.
Saladsamurai said:
Zooby: Awesome work. First thread I have ever subscribed to with the email notifications turned on. That's how great this thread is.
Thanks much Salad! Really happy you think it's worth subscribing to!
I noticed awhile back that GeorginaS managed to get some prints from you. If one were interested, would one PM you about whether this is an option?
Georgina didn't buy those prints from me. They're made and sold by "deviantART" which is a humongous website for amateur artists. I'm "zoobyshoe" there as well, so you can google my gallery there. (I don't think I can directly link without breaking a PF spamming rule, cause I do make a tiny profit for each one sold.) I upload them there as huge files, which could print out much larger than the actual original drawings, so you also have the option of downloading the big file from there, resizing however you like, and printing it out yourself if you have a good printer.
Dembadon said:
Always love seeing your work, zoob. I'm always showing it off to anyone who'll appreciate it.
That's great to hear! Thanks much!

Great work Zoob!

Nice Progress!

... *thinks of emailing a pic to Zshoe* :tongue2:

DaveC426913 said:
Great work Zoob!
Thanks much, Dave!
dlgoff said:
Nice Progress!
Thanks!
Gad said:
... *thinks of emailing a pic to Zshoe* :tongue2:
Uh Oh! I don't have an opening till about 2042.

I know it's bad manners to revive an old thread, but I'm going to the MoMA today and I was checking out their website when this was the first thing I saw:

68598.jpg

At first I thought maybe Zooby had gotten famous for his artwork, but I don't think it's his. Just strikingly similar, (and apparently famous). I actually like Zooby's work better, but I'm not exactly a connoisseur.