Digital Control Systems Textbook

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good resource for reinforcing skills in Digital Control Systems. The person initially considered "Digital Control Systems by Benjamin C. Kuo" but realized it may be outdated. They ask for suggestions and the other person mentions using "Brogan for Modern Control theory" and "Chen" as well as "Digital control of dynamic systems by Franklin, Powell and Workman." The first person mentions having heard of this book and downloading it, but finding it difficult to read due to the low quality of the scanning. They plan to look for a used copy on Amazon.
SuperDaniel
Hi Guys,

I need some material to update, or, better said, to reinforce my skills in Digital Control Systems.

In the very beginning I thought on "Digital Control Systems by Benjamin C. Kuo", but, after think about this, I realized that, maybe, this is an oldie for this subject.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

D.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a copy of Kuo but I have not studied it in depth. Sometimes an old book is best. I used Brogan for Modern Control theory, but I do not think it covers only digital. Chen also wrote a popular textbook.

Likes SuperDaniel
mpresic said:
I have a copy of Kuo but I have not studied it in depth. Sometimes an old book is best. I used Brogan for Modern Control theory, but I do not think it covers only digital. Chen also wrote a popular textbook.
Have you ever heard about this: Digital control of dynamic systems by Franklin, Powell and Workman?

I have heard of Franklin, Powell and Naeini. I bought it bur never read a lot in it. As I remember it was probably pretty good, (or I would not have bought it). I just do not remember it.

Thank you for your message: I wrote this last message, because I read a reference about that book in an IEEE paper.
I downloaded from the book from the web, and despite is pretty difficult to read due to the low quality of the scanning, the book looks very complete, so, I will look for an used book on Amazon.
Thank you again

1. What is a digital control system?

A digital control system is a system that uses digital signals and processing techniques to control a physical process. It involves converting analog signals into digital signals and using algorithms and computer programs to manipulate and adjust the system's output.

2. What topics are covered in a digital control systems textbook?

A digital control systems textbook typically covers topics such as digital signal processing, sampling and quantization, Z-transforms, discrete-time systems, state-space representation, stability analysis, and digital controller design techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using a digital control system?

The advantages of using a digital control system include improved accuracy and precision, faster response times, easier implementation of complex control algorithms, and the ability to easily integrate with other digital systems.

4. How is a digital control system different from an analog control system?

A digital control system uses digital signals and processing, while an analog control system uses analog signals and processing. Digital systems offer more flexibility and accuracy in control, while analog systems may be simpler and less expensive to implement.

5. What are some real-world applications of digital control systems?

Digital control systems are used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, industrial automation, aerospace and defense systems, automotive control, and medical devices. They are also commonly used in household appliances, such as washing machines and refrigerators.