Digital Line Topology: Show Odd Integers are Dense in \mathbb{Z}

  • Thread starter Thread starter cragar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Digital Topology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
cragar
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Show that the set of odd integers is dense in
the digital line topology on [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


if m in Z is odd then it gets mapped to the set {m}=> open
.
So is the digital line topology just the integers.
If I was given any 2 integers I could find an odd one in between if there is an element in between.
If I was given to consecutive integers I wouldn't be able to find an odd one in between but there are no elements in between in this set. And I thinking about this question correctly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you spell out what the 'digital topology' is? {m} doesn't mean much to me.
 
I think I got it figured out. thanks for having me define my terms better.
 
FYI:

I Googled "digital line topology" and found the following:

From http://www.math.csusb.edu/faculty/gllosent/About_me_files/555-Chapter2.pdf:
Example 1.10.

For each [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}\,,[/itex] de fine:

[itex]\displaystyle \textit{B}(n) =\left\{\matrix{\{ n\},\ & \text{if }\ n \text{ is odd.} \\ \ \\ \{ n-1,\,n,\,n+1\}, & \text{if }\ n \text{ is even.}}\right.[/itex]

Consider [itex]\displaystyle {\frak{B}}= \{B(n)|n\in\mathbb{Z}\}[/itex]: a (basis of the*) digital line topology.​

* added by me, SammyS.