Dilemma of pursuing only one major

• Programs
  • Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, because you are studying civil engineering, you can't help but think about what you could be doing if you studied a different area of engineering. However, when you think about it, you realize that you could be masters of none if you don't dedicate yourself to one area. You also mention that you have no qualms about pursuing only one major.
CivilSigma
Do you ever feel or think about what could have been if I studied this topic instead of that? How do you deal with it?

Because when ever I read wikis about topics say in mathematics , software development , game development, quantum physics etc... I think to myself how cool if I studied those instead. Don't get me wrong, I like what I am studying now (civil engineering) but I just can't help my self think of the what if because I know I can lean them and probably do something useful with them, which really promotes this existential crisis.

Source for this though provoking post: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning

Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
Do you ever feel or think about what could have been if I studied this topic instead of that? How do you deal with it?

Because when ever I read wikis about topics say in mathematics , software development , game development, quantum physics etc... I think to myself how cool if I studied those instead. Don't get me wrong, I like what I am studying now (civil engineering) but I just can't help my self think of the what if because I know I can lean them and probably do something useful with them, which really promotes this existential crisis.

Source for this though provoking post: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning

1. You could be a jack-of-all-trades and master of NONE. Why? Because to be a master at something requires full-time dedication, hard work, and a lot of effort, something you can't spread over too many different areas (unless you are a superhuman). So you will likely end up not providing deep insight into anything.

2. You can't simply pick up, say, "quantum physics" and think that you can "do something useful" with it. This is a fallacy. It is not a book that you can pick up, read, and then understand. That's like saying you can pick up a hammer, and thus, you should be able to build a house. The same can be said about the other subject matter you listed.

3. Focusing on a particular area does not exclude you from going into another area, especially if the knowledge and/or expertise/skill can be applied elsewhere. As a physicist, I find that 75% of my work is in engineering. I design and then build stuff, which is interesting because I entered my undergraduate program as an engineering major before switching to physics. There is nothing here that says that one must be confined only to such-and-such an area based on the subject area printed on the diploma.

I have zero qualms about pursuing "only one major".

Zz.

Likes CivilSigma
Thank you for the response.

ZapperZ said:
You could be a jack-of-all-trades and master of NONE
ZapperZ said:
pick up a hammer, and thus, you should be able to build a house

These two points really put it into perspective for me.

May I ask you what type of engineering , stuff you build as a physicist?

sakonpure6 said:
May I ask you what type of engineering , stuff you build as a physicist?

Particle accelerator and thin-film deposition system.

Zz.

Likes CivilSigma

1. What are the advantages of pursuing only one major?

Some advantages of pursuing only one major include being able to focus on a specific area of study, becoming an expert in that field, and potentially having a higher GPA as you are not dividing your attention between multiple subjects.

2. What are the disadvantages of pursuing only one major?

Disadvantages of pursuing only one major may include limited job opportunities, less exposure to different subjects and perspectives, and potential difficulty in finding a job in a competitive market.

3. Can I still have a well-rounded education with only one major?

Yes, it is possible to have a well-rounded education with only one major. You can supplement your major with elective courses, internships, and extracurricular activities to gain a diverse range of skills and experiences.

4. How do I decide if pursuing only one major is the right choice for me?

Consider your goals, interests, and strengths when deciding if pursuing only one major is the right choice for you. Research the job market for your chosen major and speak with advisors, professors, and professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the potential outcomes.

5. Can I change my major if I have already committed to pursuing only one?

Yes, it is possible to change your major even if you have already committed to pursuing only one. However, it may require extra time and resources to catch up on courses for the new major. It is important to carefully consider your options and consult with an advisor before making any major changes.