1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension of interaction in a QFT theory

1. May 27, 2015 #1
    The problem statement.

When an exercises say " the interaction in a QFT has dimensions Δ" , what does it mean?, it means the field or the Lagrangian has this mass dimension?

In this exercise I'm trying to find the classical beta function (β-function) for the assciated couling.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It sounds like they mean the power-counting dimension of the operator corresponding to the interaction in question, where the dimension of the field is determined from the kinetic term. So, in 4d for a scalar ##\phi##, the dimension of ##\phi^4## would be 4, while the dimension of ##\phi^2 (\partial \phi)^2## would be 6, etc.

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3
    Oh I see , I think i got it , but still I dont see how to compute the beta function to get to the form
    $$\beta(g)=(d-\Delta)g+\mathcal{O}(g^2)$$
    I really appreciate the help :)

The full exercise is :

Show that if the interaction in a QFT is has dimension Δ then there is a classical β function for the associated coupling given by ,
    $$\beta(g)=(d-\Delta)g+\mathcal{O}(g^2)$$
    Discuss what happens to interactions where Δ > d or Δ < d.

Any hits or insight will do , thank you very much :D

5. Jun 2, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll outline this, because once the concepts are put together, there really isn't a lot of work left for you to do.I will consider the case of a single field, but you should generalize the argument for multiple fields + allow for derivatives in the coupling.

Consider an interaction of the form

$$S_\text{int} = \int d^dx g_0 \Phi^r$$

and do the rescaling ##x\rightarrow \lambda x##. Under this transformation, the fields transform according to their scaling dimension, ##\delta##, namely ##\Phi\rightarrow \lambda^{-\delta}\Phi##. In fact, we will find that

$$S_\text{int} \rightarrow \int d^dx g_0 \lambda^\kappa \Phi^r,$$

for some exponent ##\kappa## that you should relate to ##d## and ##\Delta##. The theory is obviously only invariant under the scale transformation if the exponent ##\kappa## is zero for all of the terms in the action, but we can still define an effective coupling ##g(\lambda) = g_0 \lambda^\kappa##. The corresponding beta function, defined as

$$\beta_g(\lambda) = \lambda \frac{dg(\lambda)}{d\lambda},$$

can then be computed.

6. Jun 2, 2015 #5
    Ahaa I solved it . It was a lot easier that I thought !

thank for your time :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted