Dimension Of Physical Quantities

In summary, the dimension of a physical quantity is the combination of the basic physical dimensions which describe it.
Xidike
Hi All PF Members...
I'm New to this website.. Also new to physics... nd I'm very exited about this aweSome website...where I can post my problems...
Experts I want list of All physical quantities and their Dimension... I've been searching and cannot find any thing good enough...
Sorry for my Bad E:confused:nglish...

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah... but i can't understand any thing there...

Last edited:
Xidike said:
yeah... but i can't understand any thing here...

Is this a homework question?

Drakkith said:
Is this a homework question?
No i just want to learn these...

Xidike, Welcome to Physics Forums. طبیعیات فورم پر خوش آمدید.

In Post #2 Member Drakkith suggested the Wikipedia page on “Physical Quantity” and you responded in Post #3 “Yeah, but I can’t understand anything here…”

Now, may I ask you please, did you see the table on that Wikipedia page called “Base quantities”? This table contains the International System of Units.

The seven base quantities of the International System of Quantities and their corresponding SI units and dimensions are listed in the table.

These are the seven physical quantities and dimensions. This is what you asked for in Post #1. What exactly do you not understand? Please ask specific questions by number, like this:
Question 1.:
Question 2.:

Members here on Physics Forums are ready and willing to help you find answers.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

I want the list of All physical quantities, not only basic 7..

Xidike said:
yeah... but i can't understand any thing here...

This is utterly vague. What exactly did you not understand? Unless you are more specific in where you are having a problem in understanding, there's nothing here to prevent people to give you even more stuff that you can't understand. After all, we have no clue on what you are finding difficulties with.

You also cannot be lazy and simply expect to be spoon-fed with information. At some point, you have to put in your own effort in understanding anything. If you cannot understand that Wikipedia page, what CAN you understand?

There is no excuse anymore nowadays to ask a question cold!

Zz.

By the way I love your quote section ZapperZ.

ZapperZ said:
This is utterly vague. What exactly did you not understand? Unless you are more specific in where you are having a problem in understanding, there's nothing here to prevent people to give you even more stuff that you can't understand. After all, we have no clue on what you are finding difficulties with.

You also cannot be lazy and simply expect to be spoon-fed with information. At some point, you have to put in your own effort in understanding anything. If you cannot understand that Wikipedia page, what CAN you understand?

There is no excuse anymore nowadays to ask a question cold!

Zz.

I'm really very sorry, but I wanted to say that i can't understand anything on WIKIPEDIA, it's All pretty good here... every thing iz going well... experts are helping me alot... once again I'm really sorry///\\\

Does the Dimension of physical quantities mean, the direction of these quantities ?

Xidike said:
Does the Dimension of physical quantities mean, the direction of these quantities ?

It basically means that the units I use actually matter. If I were to use a different system of units the values would be completely different. This contrasts to dimensionless quantities with are the same no matter what units you are using. For example Pi is a dimensionless quantity, as no matter what your units you are using to measure the circle, be it inches or meters or whatever, the ratio is still 3.14159...

Length is a dimensional quantity because the units matter. 1 meter is obviously different than 1 foot, even though both have a value of 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensionless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensionless_physical_constant

Xidike said:
Hi All PF Members...
I'm New to this website.. Also new to physics... nd I'm very exited about this aweSome website...where I can post my problems...
Experts I want list of All physical quantities and their Dimension... I've been searching and cannot find any thing good enough...
Sorry for my Bad E:confused:nglish...
Hi it's not so clear what you ask; but here's one more possible answer.

"The dimension of a physical quantity is the combination of the basic physical dimensions (usually length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, amount of substance and luminous intensity) which describe it"
- and then there is an explanation of how to analyse this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis

What is a dimension of a physical quantity?

A dimension of a physical quantity is a fundamental property that describes the nature of the quantity. It is the type of unit used to measure the quantity, such as length, mass, time, temperature, or electric current.

Why are dimensions important in science?

Dimensions are important in science because they provide a standardized way to measure and compare physical quantities. They help scientists communicate and understand the relationships between different quantities and how they affect each other.

What is the difference between a dimension and a unit?

A dimension is a fundamental property while a unit is a specific measurement of that property. For example, length is a dimension and meters is a unit of length. Dimensions describe the nature of the quantity while units provide a numerical value for that quantity.

How many dimensions are there in the SI system of units?

The SI (International System of Units) has seven base dimensions: length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, amount of substance, and luminous intensity. All other physical quantities can be derived from these base dimensions.

What is dimensional analysis and why is it useful?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to check the correctness of a physical equation. It involves analyzing the dimensions of each term in the equation and ensuring that they are consistent. This helps to identify and correct errors in equations and to verify the relationships between different physical quantities.