1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional alalysis to show functional dependence

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the method of dimensional analysis to show that the functional dependence in equation (1) can be derived from an observational expression: [TEX]lambda = k*mu*f^m*T^n[/TEX].

2. Relevant equations
    [TEX]lambda=k\sqrt {{\frac {T}{\mu}}}{f}^{-1}[/TEX] (1)
    [TEX]lambda = k*mu*f^m*T^n[/TEX]
    [TEX]\mu={\frac {{\it kg}}{m}}[/TEX]
    [TEX]T={\frac {{\it kg}\,m}{{s}^{2}}}[/TEX]

3. The attempt at a solution

First I solve for n.

[TEX]m={\frac {{m}^{n}}{m}}[/TEX]
    n = 2

Now I solve for m.

[TEX]0=0={1/s}^{m}{s}^{-2\,n}[/TEX]
    m = -4

so now I have:

[TEX]\lambda={\frac {ku{T}^{2}}{{f}^{-4}}}[/TEX]

I don't understand what the question means by "show that the functional dependence in equation (1). . ."

In equation (1) we were told that [TEX]\lambda[/TEX] and T were variables. Well in equation I've derived [TEX]\lambda[/TEX] and T could very well be variables, but I don't think I understand the question. But, if the question is asking me to equate the two expressions and prove an "identity", then I can't do that. Any help welcomed and appreciated.

When I try to "work" the units out they don't work out at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2
    I tried to make it all pretty with the LaTeX, but it didn't work :(

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    Misread question. I thought the u had an exponent of 1, but it had an exponent of L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook