1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis - quantum and classical lengthscale ratio

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was supposed to use dimensional analysis to approximate the length scale (in classical and quantum mechanics). The results I got(same as those in the answer sheet): classicaly[tex]l_c≈\frac{e^2}{4πm_ec^2ε_0}≈2.8*10^-15m[/tex] In quantum mechanics[tex]l_q≈\frac{h}{m_ec}≈2.4*10^-12m[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The next question is: how would your analysis in case of [tex]l_q[/tex]have to change if [tex]l_q≈l_c?[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the answer to question b), but I don't think I understand it. The answer they give is:
    'If[tex]l_q≈l_c[/tex] it would not be possible to estimate l_q without considering electromagnetic effects and write [tex]l_q=f(\frac{l_c}{l_q})[/tex] In fact ratio l_c/l_q is is small (apart from a factor of 2π it is just the fine structure constant).'

Could anyone please explain or comment on the given answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    Could anyone explain why the electromagnetic effects need to be considered and how it influences the ratio?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook