1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis to estimate gas clounds collapse

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    stars form by gravitational collapse of interstellar gas clouds. use dimensional analysis to estimate how long it takes for a cloud with a density p=Mo pc^-3 to collapse

Mo= 1.9898e33 g
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just have no idea how to use dimensional analysis, and how I would use it to solve the problem. My book has nothing about it. So if someone can explain to me how I use dimensional analysis step by step solve this problem.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2
    Hey
    after reading I have better idea on what to do. Here is what i got.

PgML/po I have to try to get the signs to cancle out and just to be left with time right?

so P= ML-3 for density g= M-1 L3 T-2 for gravity. po = MLT-1 for momentum so all of the cancel and you are left with time. Is that the right formula? Hmmm but how am i suppose to find how long it will take without the mass length or momentum? or did i do something wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook