Dimensional analysis - working out if this is dimensionally correct

In summary, the conversation discusses whether an expression, specifically a(x - x0), is dimensionally correct. It is clarified that the difference between two lengths is still a length. The final conclusion is that a(x - x0) is correctly dimensioned as L²/T².
ulfy01

Homework Statement

I'm trying to work out if the following is dimensionally correct. I think I'm getting stuck at the (x - x0)

hD7pb.jpg

Homework Equations

In this case v is velocity (L/T), a is acceleration (L/T²), and x represents displacement, which is a length (L)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was such:

v² = v0² = (L/T)² or L²/T²

a = L/T²

(x - x0) confuses me. That would work out to (L - L), correct? So a(x - x0) = L/T²(L - L)

Don't (L - L) cancel out, leaving me just with L/T² which is NOT the same as L²/T²?

According to the sheet, this expression is supposed to be dimensionally correct. Any pointer appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ulfy1, welcome to PF!

The difference between two lengths is length. Just think, what you get when you cut a 2 meter long piece from a 10 m long string. You get a piece of 8 meter length.

ehild

Ah, I think I got it! I have to get that dimensions are just that, dimensions.

So in truth, a(x - x0) is really just L/T²(L) which is L²/T²

I think that's the right conclusion and makes the expression correct.

Thanks!

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to check the consistency of physical equations by comparing the units of the different quantities involved. It helps to ensure that the equations are dimensionally correct, meaning that the units on both sides of the equation are the same.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it helps to identify errors in mathematical equations and ensure their accuracy. It also allows scientists to check the validity of their hypotheses and experimental results.

3. How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you need to first identify the physical quantities involved in the equation and their corresponding units. Then, you can use conversion factors and algebraic manipulation to ensure that the units on both sides of the equation are equal.

4. Can dimensional analysis be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in all scientific fields as long as there are physical quantities involved. It is particularly useful in physics, chemistry, and engineering, but can also be applied in other fields such as biology and economics.

5. What are the benefits of using dimensional analysis?

There are several benefits of using dimensional analysis. It helps to catch errors in equations, ensures the consistency and accuracy of equations, and provides a simple and systematic approach for problem-solving. It also allows for easy unit conversions and can help to simplify complex equations.