1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis - working out if this is dimensionally correct

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to work out if the following is dimensionally correct. I think I'm getting stuck at the (x - x0)

hD7pb.jpg

2. Relevant equations

In this case v is velocity (L/T), a is acceleration (L/T²), and x represents displacement, which is a length (L)

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was such:

v² = v0² = (L/T)² or L²/T²

a = L/T²

(x - x0) confuses me. That would work out to (L - L), correct? So a(x - x0) = L/T²(L - L)

Don't (L - L) cancel out, leaving me just with L/T² which is NOT the same as L²/T²?

According to the sheet, this expression is supposed to be dimensionally correct. Any pointer appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi ulfy1, welcome to PF!

The difference between two lengths is length. Just think, what you get when you cut a 2 meter long piece from a 10 m long string. You get a piece of 8 meter length.

ehild

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    Ah, I think I got it! I have to get that dimensions are just that, dimensions.

So in truth, a(x - x0) is really just L/T²(L) which is L²/T²

I think that's the right conclusion and makes the expression correct.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook