Dimensional Regularization of Feynman Integrals

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of Appendix A Equation 52 in Peskin and Schroeder's book, which involves loop integrals and dimensional regularization. The equation is derived using the three expansions: Γ(ε) = 1/ε - γ, Γ(ε - 1) = -1/ε + γ - 1, and (1/Δ)2-d/2 = 1 - (1 - d/2)logΔ. These expansions are also explained in the QFT manuscript provided by the speaker. The speaker also mentions that the full calculation can be found in Section 5.3 of the manuscript, and that C.14 and C.15 in the Appendix correspond to Pes
nigelscott
I am looking at Appendix A Equation 52 (Loop Integrals and Dimensional Regularization) in Peskin and Schroeder's book.

∫ddk/(2π)d1/(k2 - Δ)2 = Γ(2-d/2)/(4π)2(1/Δ)2-d/2 = (1/4π)2(2/ε - logΔ - γ + log4π)

Can somebody explain how this equation is derived? I would also like to know what the equivalent expression is for integrals of the type 1/(k2 - m2) and k2/(k2 - m2)2. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. There's a lot of heavy math in there but I think I got the main idea. It seems that the following 3 expansions are critical to the derivations. To first order, omitting factors of π etc and putting Δ = m2:

a. Γ(ε) = 1/ε - γ

b. Γ(ε - 1) = -1/ε + γ - 1 (from WolframAlpha)

c. (1/Δ)2-d/2 = 1 - (1 - d/2)logΔ.

Therefore, for (c) we get (1/Δ)ε = 1 - εlogΔ and for 1 - d/2 we get (1/Δ)ε-1 = (1/Δ)ε(1/Δ)-1 = (1 - εlogΔ)Δ

When I multiply these terms together in the right combinations I seem to get the expressions that I was looking for. Is my reasoning correct? Thanks again.

Likes Raymont
It's a bit lenghty to post the full calculation here in the forums, but you find a (so I hope) pretty self-contained derivation of the formulae in Appendix C of my manuscript in Section 5.3 (including a review about the ##\Gamma## and ##\mathrm{B}## functions needed to do the integrals. Together with Feynman parametrization that's all you need to evaluate simple Feynman diagrams as also demonstrated in the manuscript.

Likes Raymont
Thanks again. I think C.14 and C.15 in the Appendix are basically what I was looking for. C.15 would seem to correspond to Peskin's A.51. My intention here was to justify the form of each equation rather that replicate the exact proofs. I think the expansion of Γ(∈) and Γ(∈ - 1) were the missing pieces.

Likes Raymont and vanhees71

1. What is Dimensional Regularization?

Dimensional Regularization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to handle divergent integrals. It involves extending the number of dimensions in the integral from the usual four (space-time dimensions) to a higher number, usually denoted by d. This allows for the cancellation of divergences, resulting in finite results.

2. Why is Dimensional Regularization used in Feynman integrals?

Feynman integrals, which are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions in quantum field theory, often result in divergent integrals. Dimensional Regularization offers a systematic and consistent method to deal with these divergences and obtain finite results.

3. How does Dimensional Regularization work?

Dimensional Regularization works by introducing a parameter, d, which represents the number of dimensions in the integral. This parameter is then analytically continued to non-integer values, allowing for the cancellation of divergences. After the calculations are completed, the final result is then evaluated at d=4 to obtain a finite result in four dimensions.

4. What are the advantages of using Dimensional Regularization?

One of the main advantages of Dimensional Regularization is that it provides a consistent method for handling divergences in quantum field theory calculations. It also allows for calculations to be performed in higher dimensions, which can sometimes lead to simpler and more elegant results. Additionally, Dimensional Regularization is a gauge-invariant method, meaning that the results are independent of the chosen reference frame.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dimensional Regularization?

While Dimensional Regularization is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is not applicable to all types of divergences, and in some cases, it may not produce physically meaningful results. Additionally, the analytic continuation used in Dimensional Regularization can sometimes lead to complex numbers, which may not have a physical interpretation. As with any mathematical technique, it is important to use Dimensional Regularization carefully and critically to ensure the validity of the results.