Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional regularization vs momentum cutoff

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2D sigma model with supersymmetry on the worldsheet. It has both cubic and quartic interactions and I'm interested in the one loop correction to the worldsheet masses. When I calculate this with dimensional regularization I find that everything is zero as expected. In momentum cutoff ##\Lambda## however I find terms corresponding to infinite mass renormalization. That is

Dim reg:

$$ \delta m^2 = 0 $$

while in

momentum cutoff:

$$ \delta m^2 = \alpha \Lambda^2 + \beta $$

where ##\alpha,\beta## are constants like ##1/\pi## etc.

My question is, what is the meaning of the terms popping up in the momentum cutoff? They shouldn't be physical but I feel I lack a proper argument for that statement.

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    People say that such terms are "pure counterterm", meaning adding a local counterterm of the form delta m^2*phi^2 term in your action is sufficient to cancel such divergences; there's no leftover bit that depends on p or mu, the renormalization scale.

4. May 27, 2012 #3
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, the terms I find correspond to mass renormalization. However, I would expect ##\delta m^2 ## to be zero since its a susy model. What is more, the ##\delta m^2## in hard cutoff is different for boson and fermions implying that susy is broken which should not be the case. I want an argument for how to either get rid of the mass renormalization terms or why I can say they don't matter.

Thanks, Nid.

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    I would also expect it to be zero; I would expect that you'd find wavefunction renormalization that respects supersymmetry, provided you have no explicit SUSY-breaking terms in your Lagrangian in the first place. Have you verified your calculation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook