Dimensional regularization vs momentum cutoff

In summary, the conversation revolves around a 2D sigma model with supersymmetry and the one loop correction to the worldsheet masses. The speaker is interested in the difference between dimensional regularization and momentum cutoff and the meaning of the terms that appear in the latter. They mention that these terms are not physical and can be cancelled out by adding a local counterterm, but the speaker is looking for a better argument to explain their absence or irrelevance. They also discuss the expectation of finding zero mass renormalization due to supersymmetry and the implications of finding different values for bosons and fermions.
nidnus
Hi everyone,

I have a 2D sigma model with supersymmetry on the worldsheet. It has both cubic and quartic interactions and I'm interested in the one loop correction to the worldsheet masses. When I calculate this with dimensional regularization I find that everything is zero as expected. In momentum cutoff ##\Lambda## however I find terms corresponding to infinite mass renormalization. That is

Dim reg:

$$ \delta m^2 = 0 $$

while in

momentum cutoff:

$$ \delta m^2 = \alpha \Lambda^2 + \beta $$

where ##\alpha,\beta## are constants like ##1/\pi## etc.

My question is, what is the meaning of the terms popping up in the momentum cutoff? They shouldn't be physical but I feel I lack a proper argument for that statement.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
People say that such terms are "pure counterterm", meaning adding a local counterterm of the form delta m^2*phi^2 term in your action is sufficient to cancel such divergences; there's no leftover bit that depends on p or mu, the renormalization scale.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, the terms I find correspond to mass renormalization. However, I would expect ##\delta m^2 ## to be zero since its a susy model. What is more, the ##\delta m^2## in hard cutoff is different for boson and fermions implying that susy is broken which should not be the case. I want an argument for how to either get rid of the mass renormalization terms or why I can say they don't matter.

Thanks, Nid.

I would also expect it to be zero; I would expect that you'd find wavefunction renormalization that respects supersymmetry, provided you have no explicit SUSY-breaking terms in your Lagrangian in the first place. Have you verified your calculation?

1. What is the difference between dimensional regularization and momentum cutoff?

Dimensional regularization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to handle divergent integrals by analytically continuing the number of dimensions in which the integrals are taken. Momentum cutoff, on the other hand, is a method of regulating divergences by imposing a cutoff on the maximum momentum allowed in the integral.

2. Which method is more commonly used in theoretical physics?

Dimensional regularization is more commonly used in theoretical physics as it is a more elegant and systematic approach to dealing with divergences. It also preserves important symmetries in the theory.

3. How do these methods affect the predictions of physical quantities?

The predictions of physical quantities can be affected differently by dimensional regularization and momentum cutoff. In dimensional regularization, the predictions are often finite and continuous as the number of dimensions is analytically continued. In momentum cutoff, the predictions can be sensitive to the choice of cutoff and may not be continuous as the cutoff is varied.

4. Can these methods be used interchangeably?

No, dimensional regularization and momentum cutoff are two distinct methods and cannot be used interchangeably. They have different underlying mathematical principles and can lead to different results.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?

The advantages of dimensional regularization include its ability to preserve symmetries and produce finite and continuous predictions. However, it can be mathematically complex and may not always be applicable. Momentum cutoff, on the other hand, is simpler to implement but may lead to non-physical results and is less systematic. The choice of which method to use depends on the specific needs of the theoretical calculation.