1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dimensions of interaction/radiation length

1. Dec 5, 2016 #1
    I've been given that in an electromagnetic calorimeter the radiation length of a material consisting of a single nucleus is:
    ##X_0 = \frac{716.4A}{Z(Z+1)\ln(287/\sqrt{74}}##

Where ##X_0## is in g ##cm^{-2}##. How can it be in those units when everything in that expression is dimensionless? It's possible I'm meant to use density to calculate ##X_0## in the correct units somehow.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2016 #2
    Ok, change of question. Assuming ##X_0## is originally calculated in g##cm^{-2}##, can I use density to somehow calculate the value in cm instead? cm seems like a more sensible unit for a length. And dimensionally dividing a quantity in g##cm^{-2}## by g##cm^{-3}## gives cm, is there any justification for why ##\frac{X_0}{\rho}## would give ##X_0## in cm? Rather than some quantity completely different to radiation length?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted