1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole of Magnetic field in polar coordinates

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everybody... i have a bad problem with my brain:

starting from the Vectorial form of the magnetic dipole:

[itex] \vec{B}(\vec{r}) =\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{3 \vec{r} ( \vec{r} \cdot \vec{m}) - r^2 \vec{m}}{r^5} [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

i want to derive the spherical expressions, with [itex] \vec{m} [/itex] parallel with [itex] z [/itex] axes

[itex]
    x = r \cos \theta; y = r \sin \theta; z=z
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I dunno what to do... i've tried to write [itex] B_r = \sqrt{(B_x)^2 + (B_y)^2} [/itex] ... but i fail....
    the solution should be:

[itex]
    B_r = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{2 \cos \theta}{r^3}
    [/itex]

[itex]
    B_\theta = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{\sin \theta}{r^3}
    [/itex]

i dunno how to manage the scalar product, i feel really dumb and im sorry for the low quality of my question,

just some general indication about what to do would be sufficient,

thank u so much.

mahblah.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should use spherical coordinates rather than cylindrical coordinates. See attached figure.

Note that ##B_r = \vec{B}\cdot\hat{r}## and ##B_\theta = \vec{B}\cdot\hat{\theta}##

So, you'll need to consider what you get from ##\vec{r}\cdot\hat{r}##, ##\vec{m}\cdot\hat{r}##, ##\vec{r}\cdot\hat{\theta}##, and ##\vec{m}\cdot\hat{\theta}##

Attached Files:

4. Aug 19, 2013 #3
    :)

Thank u so much TSny!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted