Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dirac delta; fourier representation

1. Dec 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I know that we can write ## \int_{-\infinity}^{\infinity}{e^{ikx}dx}= 2\pi \delta (k) ##

But is there an equivalent if the interval which we are considering is finite? i.e. is there any meaning in ##\int_{-0}^{-L}{e^{i(k-a)x}dx} ## is a lies within 0 and L?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get the feeling the solution, if one exists, will be in the form ##\frac{2\pi}{L}## but I'm not sure if this is right,

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Yes.

The outcome is still ##2\pi\delta(k-a)##, though. the integral over the remainder of the domain gives zero. Check out distributions

Edit, sorry, too quick. a can not lie in ##[0,L]##

4. Dec 11, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

So you get a transform of the (sin x)/x kind (#6 here). Something that in the limit goes towards a delta function.

5. Dec 11, 2017 #4
    Why can a not lie in [0,L]?

6. Dec 11, 2017 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To see what happens, why don't you just do the integral? Hint: if you feel uneasy integrating an imaginary exponential, use ##e^{i\theta}= \cos\theta + i \sin\theta##.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted