In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the scalar product of the Dirac delta function and the bessel function is zero in polar coordinates because the weight function is zero on the boundary of the coordinate region. The delta function is not just given by ##\delta(r)## in polar coordinates. You may want to read up on how the delta transforms between coordinate systems. Furthermore, using a coordinate system which is singular in the point where you have your delta is not the best idea, in particular since this puts your delta on the boundary of the coordinate range.
alivedude

Homework Statement

Find the scalar product of diracs delta function ##\delta(\bar{x})## and the bessel function ##J_0## in polar coordinates. I need to do this since I want the orthogonal projection of some function onto the Bessel function and this is a key step towards that solution. I only want hints and guiding, not for someone else to give me the solution :)

Homework Equations

[/B]
We have the scalar product
##
<g,h>= \int_0^R g h r dr
##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So if I just plug in my Dirac and Bessel in the scalar product above the whole integral will be zero since Diracs delta function will pick out the value at ##r = 0## and the weight function ##w(r) = r## is zero there. This error will come from the fact that we are on the boundary of the interval right?

Anyway, I've tried this trick below but I'm not sure that its fully correct to do it like this. Can anyone confirm and deny?

##
<\delta(\bar{x}), J_0(\frac{\alpha_{0,k}}{R}r)> = \int_0^R\delta(\bar{x})J_0(\frac{\alpha_{0,k}}{R}r)rdr = \frac{1}{2 \pi}\int_0^{2\pi}d\varphi \int_0^R\delta(\bar{x})J_0(\frac{\alpha_{0,k}}{R}r)rdr = \{dA=r d\varphi dr\} = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{A}\delta(\bar{x})J_0(\frac{\alpha_{0,k}}{R}r)dA =\frac{1}{2\pi}J_0(o) = \frac{1}{2 \pi}
##

Physics news on Phys.org
The delta function is not just given by ##\delta(r)## in polar coordinates. You may want to read up on how the delta transforms between coordinate systems.

Furthermore, using a coordinate system which is singular in the point where you have your delta is not the best idea, in particular since this puts your delta on the boundary of the coordinate range. You really want to avoid these things.

You may also want to check with your class mates who were at the lecture the day before yesterday. We covered a very similar example.

Orodruin said:
The delta function is not just given by ##\delta(r)## in polar coordinates. You may want to read up on how the delta transforms between coordinate systems.

Furthermore, using a coordinate system which is singular in the point where you have your delta is not the best idea, in particular since this puts your delta on the boundary of the coordinate range. You really want to avoid these things.

Where did I write ##\delta(r)##? I know that the delta function is given by ##\delta(\bar{\textbf{r}}-\bar{\textbf{r}}_0)= \frac{1}{r}\delta(r-r_0)\delta(\varphi-\varphi_0)## in polar coordinates. My idea is to use this coordinate transformation I did so I can get the delta function well defined or how to speak.

alivedude said:
Where did I write ##\delta(r)##? I know that the delta function is given by ##\delta(\bar{x-a})= \frac{1}{r}\delta(r-a_r)\delta(\varphi-a_{\varphi})## in polar coordinates. My idea is to use this coordinate transformation I did so I can get the delta function well defined or how to speak.
Yes, but you still have the problem that your delta is now at the boundary of your coordinate region, which makes it rather fishy to perform the integral in polar coordinates. For obvious reasons I cannot comment directly on whether your "trick" is correct or not, I am just going to say that obviously you can compute the integral in whatever coordinate system you want to as long as you transform the integrand accordingly.

Orodruin said:
Yes, but you still have the problem that your delta is now at the boundary of your coordinate region, which makes it rather fishy to perform the integral in polar coordinates. For obvious reasons I cannot comment directly on whether your "trick" is correct or not, I am just going to say that obviously you can compute the integral in whatever coordinate system you want to as long as you transform the integrand accordingly.

I didn't even notice it was you Professor! :) Please notice how I pointed out that I didn't want someone to solve it for me, only some consulting and guidance on this specific part towards the solution. I understand you points and I think I know where I went wrong here.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special function in mathematics that arise in solutions to differential equations. They were first introduced by the mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century, and are named after the German astronomer Friedrich Bessel.

2. How are Bessel functions used in physics?

Bessel functions are commonly used to solve problems in physics, particularly in the fields of wave propagation and heat transfer. They can also be used to describe the behavior of certain physical systems, such as a vibrating elastic membrane or a charged particle moving in a magnetic field.

3. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or point charge in physics and engineering. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has an infinite value, and has a total area of one.

4. How is the Dirac delta function related to Bessel functions?

The Dirac delta function can be expressed as a limit of a sequence of Bessel functions, specifically the modified Bessel functions of the first kind. This relationship allows for the use of Bessel functions to approximate the behavior of the Dirac delta function in certain applications.

5. What are some practical applications of Bessel functions and the Dirac delta function?

Bessel functions and the Dirac delta function have numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used to model physical systems, solve differential equations, and analyze signals in various applications. Some specific examples include modeling sound waves, analyzing electrical circuits, and solving problems in quantum mechanics.