Dirac Notation - Position and Momentum

The matrix element you want is just \langle x \lvert \hat{p} \rvert x' \rangle = -i \hbar \partial / \partial x \delta(x-x').But you seemed to be wanting to do something else. What are you trying to do?Ah right, thank you for pointing that out! I was trying to get a feel for how to determine matrix elements in general, but you're right, I was confusing the operator with the eigenvalue in this case. I'm a bit rusty on QM, so I appreciate the clarification. In summary, the matrix element for \langle x | \hat{p} |x' \rangle is -i\hbar\partial/\
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\left\langle[/itex]x|p|x'[itex]\right\rangle[/itex] = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/i [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x')

2. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\left\langle[/itex]x|p|x'[itex]\right\rangle[/itex] = i[itex]\hbar[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x')/(x-x') = i[itex]\hbar[/itex] [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x' [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/i [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x')

For the sake of formality I think I need an integral after my first equals sign which I think would be:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') p [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') dx'= p[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') p [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') dx'

However I'm not sure if a) it's needed, or b) if I set it up correctly. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: If you're going to use LaTeX, use it for the entire expression instead of individual symbols. Fixed your post up:
atomicpedals said:

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\langle x|\hat{p}|x'\rangle = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\delta(x-x')[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle
= i \hbar \,\delta(x-x')/(x-x')
= i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x'} \delta(x-x')
= \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \delta(x-x')[/tex]
For the sake of formality I think I need an integral after my first equals sign which I think would be:
[tex]\int \delta(x-x') \hat{p} \delta(x-x')\,dx'= p\int\delta(x-x') \hat{p} \delta(x-x')\, dx'[/tex]
However I'm not sure if a) it's needed, or b) if I set it up correctly. Any help would be appreciated!
I actually don't follow what you're doing here at all. :wink: Try inserting a complete set:
[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle\langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/tex]

So, I was right... in that I was wrong! :)

I'll go back and work with the complete set.

I'm going to call out my own ignorance (probably related to having spent too much time with a QM book causing less clarity instead of more):

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle\langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/tex]

I don't see how this is the complete set. (If that question made sense, I'm on a good start.)

Shouldn't we have:

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle dp \langle p |x' \rangle \[/tex]?

Last edited:
Wait, does this work?

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \hbar /i \int \delta(x-x') \langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/tex]

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = ( \hbar /i ) ( d/dx ) \delta(x-x')[/tex]

What are [itex]\langle p \vert x' \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle x \lvert \hat{p} \vert p \rangle[/itex] equal to?

Just a side note:
atomicpedals said:
I'm going to call out my own ignorance (probably related to having spent too much time with a QM book causing less clarity instead of more):

I don't see how this is the complete set. (If that question made sense, I'm on a good start.)

Shouldn't we have:

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle dp \langle p |x' \rangle[/tex]?
They're the same thing. [itex]\mathrm{d}p[/itex] is a pure number and thus commutes with everything, in particular [itex]\langle p|x'\rangle[/itex].

The easier question to answer is what is [itex]\langle p \vert x' \rangle[/itex] equal to

[itex]\langle p \vert x' \rangle = 1/ \sqrt{2 \pi \hbar} exp( (i/ \hbar) p x') [/itex]

The more important question is then what does [itex]\langle x \lvert \hat{p} \vert p \rangle[/itex] equal, because I don't think I know anymore! Except to say that it has matrix elements (and I'm not sure what those are).

Surely you must know what [itex]\hat{p}\vert p\rangle[/itex] is equal to.

Well my first gut reply is that

[itex]\hat{p}\vert p\rangle = p\vert p\rangle[/itex]

Right, so [itex]\langle x | \hat{p} | p \rangle = \langle x | p | p \rangle = p\langle x | p \rangle[/itex].

Ah right! Ok, so what's the mathematical reasoning that gets me from [itex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle[/itex] to [itex]\int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle\langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/itex] ? I'm really trying to understand the basic underpinnings of what's going on.

I'm considerably more comfortable with the original problem. Now I've got a follow up (thanks to yesterday's class). We have

[itex]\langle x | \hat{p} | p \rangle = \langle x | p | p \rangle = p\langle x | p \rangle[/itex]

If [itex]p = i / (\hbar) d/dx[/itex] and [itex]\langle x | p \rangle = 1 / ( \sqrt{2 \pi \hbar} ) exp[ (i / \hbar) p x) ][/itex] How do I go about determining matrix elements? Is it as simple as the product of p and [itex]\langle x | p \rangle[/itex] and then taking x = 0,1,2,...?

No. I don't understand what you're trying to do.

I would like to determine matrix elements for [itex]\langle x | \hat{p} | p \rangle[/itex].

I think you're confusing the operator [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] with the eigenvalue [itex]p[/itex] of the momentum eigenstate [itex]\vert p \rangle[/itex].

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is used to represent both the position and momentum of a particle.

2. What does the "bra" and "ket" notation represent in Dirac notation?

The "bra" notation, represented as <x|, represents the position of a particle at a specific location x. The "ket" notation, represented as |p>, represents the momentum of a particle with a specific momentum p. Together, the "bra" and "ket" notations can be used to represent the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

3. How is position represented in Dirac notation?

In Dirac notation, position is represented by the "bra" notation <x|. This indicates the state of a particle at a specific position x. For example, if a particle is at position x=2, the state would be represented as <2|.

4. How is momentum represented in Dirac notation?

Momentum is represented by the "ket" notation |p> in Dirac notation. This indicates the state of a particle with a specific momentum p. For example, if a particle has momentum p=5, the state would be represented as |5>.

5. How is the position and momentum of a particle represented simultaneously in Dirac notation?

The position and momentum of a particle can be represented simultaneously in Dirac notation by using both the "bra" and "ket" notations together. This is known as a "bracket" and is represented as <x|p>.