1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Notation - Position and Momentum

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [itex]\left\langle[/itex]x|p|x'[itex]\right\rangle[/itex] = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/i [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x')

2. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\left\langle[/itex]x|p|x'[itex]\right\rangle[/itex] = i[itex]\hbar[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x')/(x-x') = i[itex]\hbar[/itex] [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x' [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/i [itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x')

For the sake of formality I think I need an integral after my first equals sign which I think would be:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') p [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') dx'= p[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') p [itex]\delta[/itex](x-x') dx'

However I'm not sure if a) it's needed, or b) if I set it up correctly. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Suggestion: If you're going to use LaTeX, use it for the entire expression instead of individual symbols. Fixed your post up:
    I actually don't follow what you're doing here at all. :wink: Try inserting a complete set:
    [tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle\langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    So, I was right... in that I was wrong! :)

I'll go back and work with the complete set.

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4
    I'm going to call out my own ignorance (probably related to having spent too much time with a QM book causing less clarity instead of more):

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle\langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/tex]

I don't see how this is the complete set. (If that question made sense, I'm on a good start.)

Shouldn't we have:

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle dp \langle p |x' \rangle \[/tex]?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. Oct 3, 2011 #5
    Wait, does this work?

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = \hbar /i \int \delta(x-x') \langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/tex]

[tex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle = ( \hbar /i ) ( d/dx ) \delta(x-x')[/tex]

7. Oct 3, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What are [itex]\langle p \vert x' \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle x \lvert \hat{p} \vert p \rangle[/itex] equal to?

8. Oct 3, 2011 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

Just a side note:
    They're the same thing. [itex]\mathrm{d}p[/itex] is a pure number and thus commutes with everything, in particular [itex]\langle p|x'\rangle[/itex].

9. Oct 4, 2011 #8
    The easier question to answer is what is [itex]\langle p \vert x' \rangle[/itex] equal to

[itex]\langle p \vert x' \rangle = 1/ \sqrt{2 \pi \hbar} exp( (i/ \hbar) p x') [/itex]

The more important question is then what does [itex]\langle x \lvert \hat{p} \vert p \rangle[/itex] equal, because I don't think I know anymore! Except to say that it has matrix elements (and I'm not sure what those are).

10. Oct 4, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Surely you must know what [itex]\hat{p}\vert p\rangle[/itex] is equal to.

11. Oct 4, 2011 #10
    Well my first gut reply is that

[itex]\hat{p}\vert p\rangle = p\vert p\rangle[/itex]

12. Oct 4, 2011 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Right, so [itex]\langle x | \hat{p} | p \rangle = \langle x | p | p \rangle = p\langle x | p \rangle[/itex].

13. Oct 4, 2011 #12
    Ah right! Ok, so what's the mathematical reasoning that gets me from [itex]\langle x| \hat{p} |x' \rangle[/itex] to [itex]\int \langle x | \hat{p} | p\rangle\langle p |x' \rangle \,dp[/itex] ? I'm really trying to understand the basic underpinnings of what's going on.

14. Oct 5, 2011 #13
    I'm considerably more comfortable with the original problem. Now I've got a follow up (thanks to yesterday's class). We have

[itex]\langle x | \hat{p} | p \rangle = \langle x | p | p \rangle = p\langle x | p \rangle[/itex]

If [itex]p = i / (\hbar) d/dx[/itex] and [itex]\langle x | p \rangle = 1 / ( \sqrt{2 \pi \hbar} ) exp[ (i / \hbar) p x) ][/itex] How do I go about determining matrix elements? Is it as simple as the product of p and [itex]\langle x | p \rangle[/itex] and then taking x = 0,1,2,...?

15. Oct 5, 2011 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. I don't understand what you're trying to do.

16. Oct 5, 2011 #15
    I would like to determine matrix elements for [itex]\langle x | \hat{p} | p \rangle[/itex].

17. Oct 5, 2011 #16

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you're confusing the operator [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] with the eigenvalue [itex]p[/itex] of the momentum eigenstate [itex]\vert p \rangle[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook