Direction and Average Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a toy car between two points, with an initial velocity of 2.2 m/s and a final velocity of 0 m/s. The car's acceleration is in the -x direction and its average acceleration is -0.28 m/s^2. The final velocity is found to be 0 m/s after 3 seconds, resulting in an acceleration of 2.2 m/s divided by 3 seconds.
Manh
You and your little brother are rolling toy cars back and forth to each other across the floor. He is sitting at x = 0, and you are at x = 4.0 m. You roll a car toward him, giving it an initial speed of 2.2 m/s . It stops just as it reaches him in 3.0 s.

In what direction is the car's acceleration?
A. The acceleration is in the +x direction.
B. The acceleration is in the −x direction.
I picked B but it was wrong. Can anybody explain it to me?

What is the car's average acceleration?
*My attempted answer: -0.28 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Manh said:
I picked B but it was wrong. Can anybody explain it to me?
What is its initial velocity (note: this has a sign), what is its final velocity? Did the number increase or decrease?

Manh said:
What is the car's average acceleration?
*My attempted answer: -0.28 m/s^2
How did you get that number?
With that acceleration, what is the velocity change in 3 seconds? Can that be right?

I think its initial velocity is 2.2 m/s which probably has a positive sign. The final velocity would be 0 m/s. Since it moves from 4 m to 0 m, I consider it moves in negative direction.

Manh said:
I think its initial velocity is 2.2 m/s which probably has a positive sign.
If it has a positive sign, the x-coordinate increases. That is not true.

mfb said:
How did you get that number?
With that acceleration, what is the velocity change in 3 seconds? Can that be right?
I found final velocity is 4/3 m/s then delta velocity 4/3 m/s - 2.2 m/s and divide that by 3 s to get the answer.

Manh said:
I found final velocity is 4/3 m/s
The car stops. What is its final velocity?

0 m/s ?

So acceleration is simply 2.2 m/s divided by 3s ?

Manh said:
So acceleration is simply 2.2 m/s divided by 3s ?
Yes.

Thank you very much!

What is direction in relation to average acceleration?

Direction in relation to average acceleration refers to the direction in which an object is moving as it accelerates. This can be described using terms such as forward, backward, left, right, up, and down. It is important to consider direction when calculating average acceleration as it provides a more complete understanding of an object's motion.

How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is average acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. The resulting unit for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is a measure of the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be thought of as an average rate of change, while instantaneous acceleration is a specific point on a graph of an object's velocity over time.

How does direction affect average acceleration?

Direction can have a significant impact on average acceleration. If an object is accelerating in a straight line, the direction of its velocity and acceleration will be the same. However, if an object is accelerating while changing direction, the direction of its acceleration may be different than its velocity. This is why direction is an important factor to consider when calculating average acceleration.

What are some real-world examples of average acceleration?

There are many real-world examples of average acceleration, such as a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster accelerating down a hill, or a runner accelerating from a standing position. In each of these cases, the object is changing its velocity over a period of time, resulting in an average acceleration. Average acceleration is also commonly used in sports, such as calculating a baseball player's acceleration as they run from base to base.