Direction of acceleration of a yo-yo

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
mybrohshi5
Messages
365
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A yo-yo is placed on a table with a rough horizontal surface. the string is wound around the center of the yo-yo several times. The string is held so that it exits the yo-yo horizontally on the lower side of the stem. The string is then pulled horizontally with a force of magnitude F.

Assume the yo-yo rolls without slipping.

What is the direction of the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo when pulled?

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought the yo-yo would roll in the opposite direction of the pulling force therefore making the acceleration opposite in direction of the pulling force.

Does this sound right?

I wish i had a yo-yo to test this one out :(

thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:

I thought the yo-yo would roll in the opposite direction of the pulling force therefore making the acceleration opposite in direction of the pulling force.


I think you mean that the direction of acceleration would be in the opposite direction of the pulling force, correct? I think that you also need to keep the rotation of the yo-yo in mind when you do this problem. I'm sure someone else knows better than I do...
 
Yes i believe that the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo is opposite in direction of the pulling force.

i solved the problem right i am just having trouble figuring out the direction of the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo.

Can anyone verify or critique my answer?

thank you :)
 
What are all the forces acting on the center of mass, and their directions?
 
The pulling force which i am saying is to the right.

The force of friction is also to the right.

does that sound like all of them?

so if all the forces are to the right would the acceleration of the center of mass be to the right?
 
Why would the force of friction be to the right? The force of friction will oppose (but never exceed in magnitude) the rest of the forces. If the only other force is to the right, then the force of friction must be to the left.
 
yes you are right. i was thinkin wrong. so the pull force is the the right and the friction force is to the left so the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo should be in the same direction as the pull force i believe :)