Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Direction of acceleration when direction of moving particle changes by 90 degrees?

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is moving eastwards with a velocity of 5m/s. In 10 seconds, the velocity changes to 5 m/s northwards. What is the average acceleration time? What is the direction of accleration?

2. Relevant equations

a=v-u/t

3. The attempt at a solution

initial velocity northwards = u = 0 m/s
    final velocity northwards = v = 5 m/s
    t = 10 s
    a = v-u/t= 1/2 m/s^2

Now initial direction = eastwards = 0 degree
    final direction = northwards = resultant = 90 degree
    therefore, using vector rules, direction of acceleration = north-west = 120 degree

Am I right?

Mr V

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2007 #2

bel

Imagine, for the sake of simplicity, that the particle was undergoing uniform circular motion, then everything will be easy.

4. Jul 2, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't do that. Just subtract the initial velocity vector from the final and divide by delta t (though the final division won't affect the direction). NW is ok but why 120 degrees?

5. Jul 3, 2007 #4
    Oh, I just thought that if E is 0 degrees, then north west will be 120 degrees.

Thanks a lot.

Mr V

6. Jul 3, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, it would be 90+ 45= 125 degrees. (Normally North is at 0 degrees and Northwest at 360- 45= 315 degrees.)

7. Jul 3, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, it would be 90+ 45= 125 degrees. (Normally North is at 0 degrees and Northwest at 360- 45= 315 degrees.)

8. Jul 3, 2007 #7
    Oh, yeah. My mistake.

Mr V

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook