1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of acceleration when direction of moving particle changes by 90 degrees?

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is moving eastwards with a velocity of 5m/s. In 10 seconds, the velocity changes to 5 m/s northwards. What is the average acceleration time? What is the direction of accleration?

2. Relevant equations

a=v-u/t

3. The attempt at a solution

initial velocity northwards = u = 0 m/s
    final velocity northwards = v = 5 m/s
    t = 10 s
    a = v-u/t= 1/2 m/s^2

Now initial direction = eastwards = 0 degree
    final direction = northwards = resultant = 90 degree
    therefore, using vector rules, direction of acceleration = north-west = 120 degree

Am I right?

Mr V

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2007 #2

bel

Imagine, for the sake of simplicity, that the particle was undergoing uniform circular motion, then everything will be easy.

4. Jul 2, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't do that. Just subtract the initial velocity vector from the final and divide by delta t (though the final division won't affect the direction). NW is ok but why 120 degrees?

5. Jul 3, 2007 #4
    Oh, I just thought that if E is 0 degrees, then north west will be 120 degrees.

Thanks a lot.

Mr V

6. Jul 3, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it would be 90+ 45= 125 degrees. (Normally North is at 0 degrees and Northwest at 360- 45= 315 degrees.)

7. Jul 3, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it would be 90+ 45= 125 degrees. (Normally North is at 0 degrees and Northwest at 360- 45= 315 degrees.)

8. Jul 3, 2007 #7
    Oh, yeah. My mistake.

Mr V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?