How Does Moving a Wire Through Earth's Magnetic Field Generate Current?

In summary, the direction of the current flow in an east-west wire moving from north to south is east to west. This is due to the fact that Earth's magnetic field in the northern hemisphere is downward and to the north, and the geographic North is the magnetic South. Additionally, the direction of the force on a charge moving through a magnetic field is determined by the formula for the net force and the direction of the magnetic field.
Mashfeek
The direction of Earth's magnetic field in the northern hemisphere is downward and to the north. If an east-west wire moves from north to south, in which direction does the current flow?

I have no idea how to approach this problem. It was on my physics test and I got it wrong and I'm doing corrections for it right now. All I know is that Earth's geographic North is its magnetic South and vice-versa. The answer is east to west, but why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mashfeek said:
The direction of Earth's magnetic field in the northern hemisphere is downward and to the north. If an east-west wire moves from north to south, in which direction does the current flow?

I have no idea how to approach this problem. It was on my physics test and I got it wrong and I'm doing corrections for it right now. All I know is that Earth's geographic North is its magnetic South and vice-versa. The answer is east to west, but why?

Do you know a formula for the net force due to a charge moving through a magnetic field? What determines the direction of the force?

1. What is the direction of current flow?

The direction of current flow is the direction in which positive charges move. In most cases, this is in the opposite direction of the flow of electrons, which are negatively charged.

2. How is the direction of current flow measured?

The direction of current flow is measured using a device called an ammeter, which measures the amount of current passing through a circuit in a specific direction.

3. Does the direction of current flow stay the same?

In most circuits, the direction of current flow will remain constant. However, in certain types of circuits such as AC (alternating current) circuits, the direction of current flow will periodically reverse.

4. What factors affect the direction of current flow?

The direction of current flow is affected by the direction of the electric field and the voltage applied to the circuit. In addition, the type of material used in the circuit can also have an impact on the direction of current flow.

5. How is the direction of current flow related to the direction of magnetic fields?

The direction of current flow is closely related to the direction of magnetic fields. When current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The direction of this magnetic field is determined by the direction of current flow.