Direction of induced current - VERY basic

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the induced current in a current loop with a given area and orientation when the current per unit length in each sheet is increased. The concept of Faraday's Law is mentioned, which states that the magnetic fluxes of the current and induced currents will be in opposite directions. The solution involves finding the field created by the current-carrying wires and determining the direction of the induced current to oppose the change in flux.
physicsfun

Homework Statement

A current loop with area A is placed in region II in the x-z plane, centered at the origin. (Below is a view looking down from y > 0.)

If the magnitude of the current per unit length in each sheet is increased (the directions stay the same), the induced current in the loop (looking down on the loop from the +y-axis) is:

A) in a counterclockwise direction
B) zero
C) in a clockwise direction(picture is attached)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has to do with Faraday's Law, and the fact that the magnetic flux's of the current and the induced currents will be in opposite directions. However, I'm not sure if because of the orientation of the loop, if the induced current will be zero, or nonzero... or if what I just said makes any sense! If anyone could tell and/or explain to me what the answer is, I would greatly appreciate that... this homework is due bright and early in the morning!

Attachments

• showm2e.gif
    showm2e.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsfun said:
If the magnitude of the current per unit length in each sheet is increased
Not sure what you mean by "current per unit length" or "each sheet". The diagram shows what looks like two current-carrying wires.
I know this has to do with Faraday's Law, and the fact that the magnetic flux's of the current and the induced currents will be in opposite directions.
Find the field created by those current-carrying wires. When the current increases, how does the flux through the loop change? What direction must the induced current flow to oppose that change in flux?

Based on Faraday's Law, the induced current in the loop will be in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux. Since the current per unit length in each sheet is increasing, the magnetic flux through the loop will also increase. Therefore, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction to the current in the loop, which is counterclockwise when looking down from the +y-axis. This is because the induced current will create a magnetic field that opposes the increasing field created by the current in the loop. So the correct answer is A) in a counterclockwise direction.

1. What is the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current is always opposite to the change in magnetic flux that is causing it. This is known as Lenz's law.

2. How is the direction of induced current determined?

The direction of induced current is determined by using the right hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the changing magnetic field, the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the induced current.

3. Does the direction of induced current depend on the orientation of the coil?

Yes, the direction of induced current depends on the orientation of the coil. If the coil is rotated, the direction of induced current will also change.

4. How does the number of coils in a wire affect the direction of induced current?

The number of coils in a wire does not affect the direction of induced current. However, it does affect the strength of the induced current. More coils will result in a stronger induced current.

5. Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed by changing the direction of the changing magnetic field. This will result in a change in the direction of the induced current, following Lenz's law.