How Accurately Can Induced EMF Represent Batteries in Circuit Problems?

In summary: I suppose that if the loops were not planar, or if the circuit was very complex, that you might run into some difficulties using the concept of "induced EMF as a battery". However, the concept of induced EMF is still valid and should be usable in some form in all cases. In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving induced EMF and current flow in a circuit with two loops and a shared branch. It is suggested to draw an equivalent circuit and use voltage loop equations to solve for the unknown currents. The concept of induced EMF as a "battery" in the circuit is also discussed, with no known exceptions for simple loop configurations.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

emf1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry for the unclear image .

EMF induced in the left loop = 8

Total Resistance of the left loop = 6 Ohms

Current will be induced in anticlockwise direction in the left loop of magnitude 4/3A.

EMF induced in the right loop = 4

Total Resistance of the left loop = 4 Ohms

Current will be induced in anticlockwise direction in the right loop of magnitude 1 A.

By superposing the two currents , current flowing in the middle branch is 1/3 Ohms from bottom to top .

But the answer given is different .

Am I making some mistake ?

Attachments

• emf1.jpg
    emf1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 990
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution misses out on the interaction of the induced potential differences on the BE branch. That wire segment is shared, so you need to somehow account for this. Just using the total resistance of each loop independently doesn't do it...

Your induced EMFs are good. So draw an equivalent circuit, inserting the EMFs as voltage sources in the loops. Then solve using your favorite method.

Likes Jahnavi and cnh1995
Jahnavi said:
By superposing the two currents , current flowing in the middle branch is 1/3 Ohms from bottom to top .
Induced emf is tricky!
Check whether KVL holds for the two loops if IBE=1/3 A.

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
Your solution misses out on the interaction of the induced potential differences on the BE branch. That wire segment is shared, so you need to somehow account for this.

Should I break the induced EMF's in two parts in each loop ?

Is it that the 8V induced EMF acts as a battery of 4 V in the left loop ( except the middle branch ) and 4V in the middle branch ? In anticlockwise sense both batteries assist each other .

This means for the right loop , 4V induced emf will be divided as 8V battery in the right loop ( except middle branch ) and 4V in the middle branch (calculated earlier ). But these two will be of opposing polarity such that net induced EMF in right loop is still 4 V ?

Jahnavi said:
Is it that the 8V induced EMF acts as a battery of 4 V in the left loop ( except the middle branch ) and 4V in the middle branch ?
Really not sure what you're getting at there. The left loop generates a an EMF of 8 V, the right loop one of 4 V. The middle branch sits between these loops so it gets a share of both loop's "inductions", so they will interact in that branch just like a shared branch in mesh analysis.

If you were to open the loops anywhere but in the EB shared branch (which you'd have to spend more time pondering the implication of), you'd find the induced potential difference for the given loop across the gaps. So just open the loops in convenient places and stick in your voltage sources. Be sure to get the polarities correct for driving the expected induced currents. For example:

upload_2018-3-9_20-25-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_20-25-56.png
    upload_2018-3-9_20-25-56.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 484
Likes cnh1995, Jahnavi and Charles Link
@Jahnavi Suggestion is to write out the two voltage loop equations, and also a conservation of current equation at the branch. That will give you 3 equations and 3 unknowns. (The problem basically has 3 unknown currents). ## \\ ## Note: Writing a 3rd voltage loop equation around the perimeter would just be the sum of the first two equations. And yes, on this one, I did get the book's answer. ## \\ ## Editing: Additional note: Your voltage loop equations need to have the form ## V=I_1 R_1+I_2 R_2 +I_3 R_3 +I_4 R_4 ##. (You may have e.g. ##I_2=I_3 ##, etc. There are basically 3 separate currents in this problem). The currents you need to mark on the diagram with an arrow beforehand, and if the current is opposite the direction of the EMF in that loop, that ## IR ## term picks up a minus sign.

Last edited:
Likes gneill and Jahnavi
Likes Charles Link
gneill said:
So draw an equivalent circuit, inserting the EMFs as voltage sources in the loops.

gneill ,

Can induced EMF's be always represented as a battery in the circuit as in this problem ?Are there any exceptions ?

Jahnavi said:
gneill ,

Can induced EMF's be always represented as a battery in the circuit as in this problem ?Are there any exceptions ?
I'm not aware of any exceptions for simple loop configurations as in this problem.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is induced EMF and current?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) and current refer to the production of an electric potential and flow of electric charge, respectively, in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced EMF and current measured?

Induced EMF and current can be measured using a device called a voltmeter, which measures the electric potential difference (voltage) and a device called an ammeter, which measures the flow of electric charge (current).

3. What are some examples of induced EMF and current?

One common example of induced EMF and current is the operation of a generator, which uses a rotating magnetic field to induce an electric current in a wire. Another example is the use of electromagnetic induction in wireless charging of devices.

4. How is the direction of induced current determined?

The direction of induced current is determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field. According to Faraday's law, the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

5. How does the number of turns in a coil affect induced EMF and current?

The number of turns in a coil can affect the strength of the induced EMF and current. A larger number of turns will result in a stronger induced EMF and current, while a smaller number of turns will result in a weaker induced EMF and current.