1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Normal force

Tags:
  1. May 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    IMG_5049.JPG

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can somebody please assist me in finding the direction of the normal force exerted on B? (How is normal force at B also normal to the rod? )

There is no hint provided from which I can conclude the direction of normal force. Can somebody please provide a hint so I can work it out?

P.S

Contact force = Normal force since friction is 0.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 17, 2017 #3
    If only one has a tangent plane (as in the picture), use that.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/

Can you please clarify this point?

My confusion regarding this:
    Considering the diagram given on the section 1 of the reference page, if we were to move the rod at a very very small angle keeping the contact point constant, the direction of the normal force will remain same but it won't necessarily be perpendicular to the rod.

5. May 17, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do not understand your response. That section tells you how to figure out the direction of the normal force in a point contact like the one in this question. Isn't that what you wanted to know?

6. May 17, 2017 #5
    Please see the edit.

7. May 17, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it would move exactly as the rod moves and remain perpendicular. Why not?

8. May 17, 2017 #7
    Oh. So no matter how the surface of contact is, if my rod is a straight rod the contact force will always be perpendicular to the surface of rod?

But this point will not apply for the edges of the rod right? Because the straightness ends over there?

9. May 17, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. It follows from the definition of normal force that I give at the start of the section.
    It will not apply at the tips, no, because there is no well-defined contact plane there. Generally you will be able to figure out the contact plane from what the tip touches, as in the question above where it rests in the bowl.

10. May 17, 2017 #9
    Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted