Calc Direction of Tension: Work & Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a block revolving in a circle and the calculation of tension and work done. It is clarified that the dot product between tension and the change in position vector is negative due to their antiparallel nature. This is further explained using unit vectors and the concept of line integrals.
Elias Waranoi

Homework Statement

A block with mass m is revolving with linear speed v1 in a circle of radius r1 on a frictionless horizontal surface. The string is slowly pulled from below until the radius of the circle in which the block is revolving is reduced to r2. (a) Calculate the tension T in the string as a function of r, the distance of the block from the hole. Your answer will be in terms of the initial velocity v1 and the radius r1. (b) Use W = ∫r1r2T(r) ⋅ dr to calculate the work done by T(r) when r changes from r1 to r2. (c) Compare the results of part (b) to the change in the kinetic energy of the block

Homework Equations

3. Attempt at solution
I've solved the question except that I thought that T ⋅ dr = Tdr while it was supposed to T ⋅ dr = -Tdr because apparently T and dr are antiparallel. I thought that tension is only in the direction towards the middle of a rope and we're obviously pulling r closer to the middle so how come they are antiparallel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that dr points in the direction of increasing r, which is outward.

Likes Elias Waranoi
Oh. You mean dr is not just a change in length but specifically a positive change? So -dr would ALWAYS be a negative change?

##r_1## goes to ##r_2## for the integral. Since ##r_1<r_2##, that minus sign should come out of the integral.

Elias Waranoi said:
3. Attempt at solution
I've solved the question except that I thought that T ⋅ dr = Tdr while it was supposed to T ⋅ dr = -Tdr because apparently T and dr are antiparallel. I thought that tension is only in the direction towards the middle of a rope and we're obviously pulling r closer to the middle so how come they are antiparallel?

##\vec r## is the position vector, pointing to the block, and ##\vec T ## is the force of tension which points towards the center. They are anti-parallel. ##\vec {dr} ## is the change of ##{\vec r }##. The work done by the tension is ##W =\int_{r_1}^{r_2}{\vec T \cdot \vec {dr}}## Written with the magnitudes T and dr, ##W = \int_{r_1}^{r_2}{T dr cos(\theta)} = \int_{r_1}^{r_2}{(-T dr) }##

upload_2017-3-17_15-36-24.png

Likes conscience, Elias Waranoi and Doc Al
Ehild is of course correct: ##\hat T## and ##\hat r## have to point in the same direction for the dot product to make sense.

Thanks ehild. I fully get it now!

Another way to look at it

For line integrals I find it least confusing to write the two vectors in the integrand in terms of unit vectors, then take the dot product, and finally do the integral. In this case, for example, I would write ##\vec{T} \cdot d\vec{r}=(-T)\hat{r} \cdot (dr)\hat{r} = -Tdr##. So then, ##\int_{r_1}^{r_2}{\vec T \cdot d\vec{r}} =- \int_{r_1}^{r_2}{T~dr}##. Note that ##d\vec{r}## is always ##+(dr) \hat{r}## regardless of whether the line integral is taken radially out or radially in. In other words, don't worry whether the two vectors are parallel or antiparallel; the minus sign, if needed, will be taken care of by the limits of integration.

Likes ehild, conscience and Doc Al

1. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the applied force and the displacement.

2. How is direction of tension related to work?

The direction of tension is the direction in which the force is being applied. This direction is important in calculating work because it affects the value of the cosine term in the work formula. If the force is applied in the same direction as the displacement, the cosine term is 1 and the work done is maximum. If the force is applied perpendicular to the displacement, the cosine term is 0 and no work is done.

3. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related. The work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. This means that if work is done on an object, it will either gain or lose kinetic energy, depending on the direction of the force applied.

4. How do you calculate the direction of tension?

The direction of tension can be calculated using trigonometry. By drawing a diagram of the force and displacement vectors, the angle theta can be determined. This angle can then be used in the work formula to calculate the direction of tension.

5. Can the direction of tension ever be negative?

No, the direction of tension can never be negative. This is because the cosine term in the work formula will always be between -1 and 1, and work is a scalar quantity. A negative value for work would indicate that the object is losing kinetic energy, which is not possible.