Direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
WeiShan Ng
Messages
36
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Example 5.9 in Griffiths's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th shows us how to find B of a very long solenoid, consisting of n closely wound turns per unit length on a cylinder of radius R, each carrying a steady current I. In the solution, he goes on to explain why we don't have the radial and "circumferential" component of B. I get the explanation on the radial part but not quite understand the "circumferential" part...

The book draws an Amperian loop around the solenoid and writes

[tex]\oint \textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = B_\phi (2\pi s) = \mu_0 I_{enc}=0[/tex]

Why is the current enclosed equals to zero? I thought the Amperian loop enclose the winding which carries current with it? And why do we assume ##B_\phi## would be constant around the Amperian loop?

open
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WeiShan Ng said:

Homework Statement


Example 5.9 in Griffiths's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th shows us how to find B of a very long solenoid, consisting of n closely wound turns per unit length on a cylinder of radius R, each carrying a steady current I. In the solution, he goes on to explain why we don't have the radial and "circumferential" component of B. I get the explanation on the radial part but not quite understand the "circumferential" part...

The book draws an Amperian loop around the solenoid and writes

[tex]\oint \textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = B_\phi (2\pi s) = \mu_0 I_{enc}=0[/tex]

Why is the current enclosed equals to zero? I thought the Amperian loop enclose the winding which carries current with it? And why do we assume ##B_\phi## would be constant around the Amperian loop?

open

OK, let's do an Amperian loop around the solenoid:

solenoid.jpg


Assuming that this is an ideal solenoid, i.e. the coils are tightly wound, what is Iencl, i.e. the net flow of current through the surface bounded by the Amperian loop?

Zz.
 
Attachments
  • solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,529
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
To add to @ZapperZ 's explanation, evaluate ## B_{outside} ## in the formula ## \oint B_{outside} \cdot dl =B_{outside}(2 \pi r)=\mu_o I ##, so that ## B_{outside}=\frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi r} ## ## \\ ## Compare the factor ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## to the factor ## n ##, ## \\ ## where ## n ## =number of turns per unit length. ## \\ ## ## B_{z \, inside}=n \mu_o I ##. ## \\ ## A very loosely packed solenoid has ## n \approx 10/cm ##, while ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## for ## r> 3.2 \, cm ## is a factor that is less than ## .05/cm ##. For this very conservative case, the magnetic field inside the solenoid is 200 x greater.
 
Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
OK, let's do an Amperian loop around the solenoid:

View attachment 223484

Assuming that this is an ideal solenoid, i.e. the coils are tightly wound, what is Iencl, i.e. the net flow of current through the surface bounded by the Amperian loop?

Zz.
Isn't the [tex]I_{enc}[/tex]be a net I flowing upward/downward through the surface?
 
Charles Link said:
To add to @ZapperZ 's explanation, evaluate ## B_{outside} ## in the formula ## \oint B_{outside} \cdot dl =B_{outside}(2 \pi r)=\mu_o I ##, so that ## B_{outside}=\frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi r} ## ## \\ ## Compare the factor ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## to the factor ## n ##, ## \\ ## where ## n ## =number of turns per unit length. ## \\ ## ## B_{z \, inside}=n \mu_o I ##. ## \\ ## A very loosely packed solenoid has ## n \approx 10/cm ##, while ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## for ## r> 3.2 \, cm ## is a factor that is less than ## .05/cm ##. For this very conservative case, the magnetic field inside the solenoid is 200 x greater.
So you saying we still have ##B_{\phi}##, but it is negligible compared to ##B_{inside}##, so we just take it as zero?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
WeiShan Ng said:
So you saying we still have ##B_{\phi}##, but it is negligible compared to ##B_{inside}##, so we just take it as zero?
Yes. That is correct.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WeiShan Ng
WeiShan Ng said:

Homework Statement


Example 5.9 in Griffiths's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th shows us how to find B of a very long solenoid, consisting of n closely wound turns per unit length on a cylinder of radius R, each carrying a steady current I. In the solution, he goes on to explain why we don't have the radial and "circumferential" component of B. I get the explanation on the radial part but not quite understand the "circumferential" part...

The book draws an Amperian loop around the solenoid and writes

[tex]\oint \textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = B_\phi (2\pi s) = \mu_0 I_{enc}=0[/tex]

Why is the current enclosed equals to zero? I thought the Amperian loop enclose the winding which carries current with it? And why do we assume ##B_\phi## would be constant around the Amperian loop?
The symmetry of the situation should convince you ##B_\phi## is constant.

Anyway, in my copy of Griffiths, he explicitly addressed your questions. Is there something about his explanation you didn't understand?
 
vela said:
The symmetry of the situation should convince you ##B_\phi## is constant.

Anyway, in my copy of Griffiths, he explicitly addressed your questions. Is there something about his explanation you didn't understand?
Everything is good now. Thank you!