Direction, velocity and impulse of a ball.

In summary, direction is the path or orientation of an object's motion, while velocity is the rate of change of its position with respect to time. The direction of a ball is determined by its angle and external forces, while the velocity can be affected by initial force, mass, air resistance, and external forces. Impulse, or change in momentum, is related to the motion of a ball and can be measured by calculating the force applied over a period of time. The direction, velocity, and impulse of a ball can be measured using tools such as radar guns and video analysis systems.
nasadall

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 350g is traveling with a speed of 4m/s when it hits at right angles a fixed vertical wall. The ball rebounds with a speed of 3m/s. Find the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the ball on the wall. Using a simple diagram show the direction of velocities and the impulse.

Hi all i can't seem to finish my coursework, I'm stuck into questions that, i can't solve.

can some one help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between direction and velocity?

Direction refers to the path or orientation of an object's motion, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In other words, direction tells us where an object is moving, while velocity tells us how fast it is moving in that direction.

2. How is the direction of a ball determined?

The direction of a ball is determined by the angle at which it is thrown or kicked, as well as any external forces acting on it such as wind or gravity. It can also be affected by collisions with other objects or surfaces.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a ball?

The velocity of a ball can be affected by the initial force applied to it, the mass of the ball, air resistance, and any external forces such as gravity or friction. The surface on which the ball is rolling or bouncing can also impact its velocity.

4. How is impulse related to the motion of a ball?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. In the case of a ball, it is the force applied to the ball over a period of time, which causes a change in its velocity. This can be seen when a ball is struck or kicked, as the force applied to it increases its momentum and causes it to move in a certain direction.

5. How can the direction, velocity, and impulse of a ball be measured?

The direction and velocity of a ball can be measured using tools such as a radar gun or a video analysis system. The impulse of a ball can be calculated by measuring the change in its momentum before and after a collision or impact. This can be done using the formula: force x time = change in momentum.