1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional covariant derivative

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    Is this correct?

[tex]

\nabla _{\vec{p}} \vec{p} = (\nabla_a \vec{p} ) p^a

=< (\nabla_a p^0 ) p^a, (\nabla_a p^1 ) p^a , (\nabla_a p^2 ) p^a, (\nabla_a p^3 ) p^a >

[/tex]

(where the a's are summed from 0 to 3)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Hi again, atyy. Perhaps I should re-formulate; I think this is right but I was hoping for confirmation:

The covariant derivative of a type (a,b) tensor is a type (a,b+1) tensor, but the directional covariant derivative is still type (a,b), since one takes the inner product of the covariant derivative and the directional vector, thereby losing the extra lower rank.

I was wondering about this because somewhere in Schutz's First Course he writes the geodesic equation simply as [tex]\nabla _{\vec{p}} \vec{p} = 0[/tex], and I wasn't certain what [tex]\nabla _{\vec{p}} \vec{p}[/tex] meant.

5. Oct 31, 2008 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

I think it's something like this.

Expand u in basis vectors (linearity):
    [tex]
    \nabla _{\bold{u}} \bold{v}
    = \nabla _{{u^i}\bold{e_i}} \bold{v}
    ={u^i} \nabla _{i} \bold{v}
    [/tex]

Expand v in basis vectors (product rule or Leibniz property):
    [tex]
    {u^i} \nabla _{i} \bold{v}
    ={u^i} \nabla _{i} v^j\bold{e_j}
    ={u^i} (v^j\nabla _{i} \bold{e_j}+\bold{e_j}\nabla _{i} v^j})
    [/tex]

Use definition of Christoffel symbols and covariant derivative of a scalar field:
    [tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    \{}{u^i} (v^j\nabla _{i} \bold{e_j}+\bold{e_j}\nabla _{i} v^j}) \\
    &={u^i} (v^j\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \bold{e_k}+\bold{e_j}{\frac {\partial v^j}{\partial x_i}}) \\
    &=({u^i}v^j\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \bold{e_k}+{u^i}\bold{e_j}{\frac {\partial v^j}{\partial x_i}}) \\
    &=({u^i}v^j\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \bold{e_k}+{u^i}\bold{e_k}{\frac {\partial v^k}{\partial x_i}}) \\
    &=({u^i}v^j\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \bold+{u^i}{\frac {\partial v^k}{\partial x_i}}){\bold{e_k}}
    \end{equation*}
    \end{split}
    [/tex]

For Schutz's equation, let the unknown coordinates of the curve be [tex]x_i=x_i(\tau)[/tex].

Set [tex]u^i=v^i=({\frac {dx(\tau)}{d\tau}})^i={\frac {dx{_i}(\tau)}{d\tau}}[/tex] as the tangent vector along the curve.

For a geodesic, set the covariant derivative of the tangent vector along the curve to zero (ie. no acceleration):
    [tex]{\frac {dx{_i}}{d\tau}}{\frac {dx{_j}}{d\tau}}\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \bold+{\frac {dx{_i}}{d\tau}}({\frac {d^2x{_k}}{d\tau^2}}{\frac {d\tau}{dx{_i}}})}={\frac {dx{_i}}{d\tau}}{\frac {dx{_j}}{d\tau}}\Gamma^{k}_{ij} \bold+{\frac {d^2x{_k}}{d\tau^2}}}=0[/tex]

We can also get the same differential equation by requiring the integrated proper time along the curve to be extremal. A given metric fixes the Christoffel symbols. Solving the differential equation will give you the coordinates of a geodesic [tex]x_i=x_i(\tau)[/tex].

6. Oct 31, 2008 #5
    Need a day to process...

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6
    Thanks, atyy; I follow now. And it turns out that the relationship I was looking for is right here in Schutz's section 6.4, "Parallel-transport, geodesics and curvature":

[tex]

\nabla _ {\vec U} \vec U = 0 \Rightarrow [/tex] "in component notation" [tex] U^{\beta} U^{\alpha} _{;\beta}=...=0[/tex]

I guess in general it pays to read page 166 before page 186.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?