Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional Derivative and unit vectors

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    What happens if a unit vector is not used in calculating the directional derivative. From when I worked it out the directional derivative is multiplied by a scalar if a unit vector is not used. So I gather that the directional derivative must be calculated by a unit vector. Because it is still calculating a rate of change and a rate of change multiplied by a number is not the same answer. I was just curious if my answer was on the right track or way off. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a more useful interpretation IMO.

In the same way as [itex] f(x+a) \approx f(x) + af'(x)[/itex] (sometimes known as Euler's approximation) in single variable calculus,

[tex]f(\vec{r}+\vec{A}) \approx f(\vec{r}) + \nabla f (\vec{r}) \cdot \vec{A}[/tex]

gives a first order approximation of the value of f(r+A).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  4. Jul 23, 2006 #3
    A directional derivative is just the projection of a function's gradient along some direction. To get the projection of a vector in a particular direction you take the dot product of the vector with a unit vector in the direction you're looking at.

If you don't use a unit vector, then your directional derivative will be multiplied by the length of the vector that you do use.

quasar, I think you need to fix a few errors in your post :yuck:

[tex]f(x+a) \approx f(x) + af^\prime (x)[/tex]

[tex]f(\vec{r}+\vec{A}) \approx f(\vec{r})+\vec{A} \cdot \nabla f(\vec{r})[/tex]

(note, this is basically just taking a Taylor expansion up to first-order)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So, in other words, if your original vector wasn't a unit vector, just divide your answer by its length:
    [tex]D_{\vec{v}}f= \frac{\vec{v}\cdot\del f}{|\vec{v}|}[/itex]

Of course, since [itex]\frac{\vec{v}}{|\vec{v}|}[/itex] is the unit vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], that is exactly the same as reducing to a unit vector in the first place.

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Strangely, \del doesn't do anything in Latex afaik. [itex]\nabla[/itex] is \nabla and [itex]\partial[/itex] is \partial. I'm sure everyone knew, but here it is anyway,

[tex]D_{\vec{v}}f= \frac{\vec{v}\cdot\nabla f}{|\vec{v}|}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?